putting aquarium near a window at home

timwu12

If i put the saltwater tank near a window, will it grow massive amounts of algae like in a freshwater tank? if so, is it safe? Is there some kind of algae eating fish? Also, do you change the water like a freshwater tank? take out 10-20% each week?--how do you prepare the saltwater?

can i just add in tap water, conditioner, and then the necessary amount of salt required?

rlcline76

More than likely, if you are using tap water, you are going to have algae issues from phosphates...not really the window. Might want to consider using RO/DI. Some people have luck with using tap. I am sure they will chime in, but for most of us is is RO/DI all the way.
How big is the tank?

timwu12

20 gallons, where can i get RO/DO water? But is the process correct? Adding water to the tank and then adding the correct amount of salt?

rlcline76

For water changes I mix the RO/DI water with the suggested amount of salt, aerate with a powerhead and a heater for at least 24 hours before putting in my tank.

Sometimes you can buy RO/DI (Reverse Osmosis/Deionized) from your local fish store. Many of would rather rely on our own filtration system. I know there are sponsors down below who sell units. You might also check out the vendor experiences for member opinions.

Sounds like you might be revved up and ready to go. I would hold off until you can get a decent water source otherwise you could have plenty of algae and plenty of headaches.

lcstorc

The window is also going to increase the algae growth.
Salt water should be mixed well in advance of water changes. Please read some of the general information about starting a tank. There are a number of things you should be aware of.

Origami2547

If it's near a sunny window, you may have problems with the tank heating up too much in the summer, too.

For such a small tank, you could probably just do your water changes using distilled water from the grocery - 2 gallons a week would be fine. There are several people in my area that do just that with their nanos without negative consequence. Mix up your salt water (in a 5 gallon bucket) a few days in advance of the water change and, if possible, set an air stone in it to aerate it well, and to stabilize the pH.

cracker

Maybe a proper window blind could help cut light & heat from the sun. If it gets cold in winter a piece of foam board between the window & blind could help insulate during the colder months.

BoomerD

It took me a while to find it, as he's changed servers, but here's a beautiful 100 gallon SPS tank that is in a sunroom that gets direct sunlight most of the day:

John's Reef Flat

Most of the old timers know "tubs," or John Susbilla as one of the "reef farmers."
There aren't many pics of the 100, but there are some nice pics of his corals. I've been to his house several times, and the color and intensity of his corals in that tank are astounding. Awesome just isn't enough of a word to describe them.

You CAN get away with having a tank in direct sunlight, but you REALLY have to keep up on maintenance and water quality, or it will turn into a green monster.