Purple Coralline Algae

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
What happens to all the purple coralline algae that gets scrapped off the back glass of the tank?
I did a WC after razor blading most of it off but it didn't vacuum out like I thought it would.
Seems like it just disappeared :ponder2: Am I going to need to check my water for bad reactions?
I probably shouldn't have scrapped off so much at one time?

Steve L

Odds are there is a fine layer of purple dust on everything in the tank and what's left is absorbed into your sand bed, filters and/or sump. It usually doesn't come off in large pieces and turns to dust when disturbed.

Scraping it off will cause it to grow more in other areas, but if you stay on top of it and not let it get thick again it's very managable. There are also certain urchins that just love to munch on it.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Ever see what happens to coraline that is left on a rock after u let it dry? it naturally bleaches out. When you scrape with a blade or razor, you're crushing it up into dust/chip sized pieces. it also releases TONS of spores at taht time too. The dust/chips settle out to become sand. Ever notice when u take a tank down there seems to be more sand than when u started it up...this is why.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Long as I don't need to worry about it polluting my water & causing my fish or corals to get sick, that was my main concern. I'm going to try to keep it scrapped off of where I don't want it now & not let it build up there again :D
Thanks for the replies....the site was "out of order" when I thought about this & I was thinking bad things.

saltfan

I leave it on the back and scrape every were else. No worries on it causing ill effects to your friends inside...lol

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I leave it on the back and scrape every were else. No worries on it causing ill effects to your friends inside...lol

That's what I was going to do (leave it on the back glass) but I got to looking at David Shaw's tank and Goma (Greg's) tank and I love how nice & clean they look...well, I'm going to try the clean look for awhile ;)
We'll see how long I last. I may plant some GSP on the back too....that's another thought. :ponder2:

ChitownRomeo

That's what I was going to do (leave it on the back glass) but I got to looking at David Shaw's tank and Goma (Greg's) tank and I love how nice & clean they look...well, I'm going to try the clean look for awhile ;)
We'll see how long I last. I may plant some GSP on the back too....that's another thought. :ponder2:

It won't cause any effects on anything. It will just spread to the rocks and other places. I scrape it all the time.