Pulled the trigger on a Red Sea E-260

Crowther

Well, I've been talking about it for a while now. Last night, my wife encouraged me to just do it. So, I did. Here we go! Can't wait for it to get here.

Crowther

Awesome!

I love the C-250, it's predecessor. I'm sure it will work well for you!

Thanks Pat. I've never run a reef aquarium. So, this should be a great learning experience. Any suggestions would be welcome. My plan at this point is to get it here. After some more research and talking to a local aquarium store owner, I'm thinking of adding the optional in cabinet sump.

DaveK

I have posted this before, but since your new to all this, I shall post it again. It's the very best advice I can give some one new to the hobby -

DaveK's Standard Lecture #1 – Advice for people new to the hobby

The very first thing you want to do, before you spend any money on equipment or livestock, is get yourself a few good books on state of the art reef systems. Then read and study them, so you have some idea about what your are doing.

Here are two to start with -

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paleta <---This book has an especially good section on fish suited to someone starting off in the hobby.

A note on the books. You can often find used copies at much lower prices at places like Amazon. In most cases these are going to be as good as new copies, especially when your first learning.

This is information that you can not easily obtain from the net. While it's out there, it's all over the place, and there is a massive volume of information. There is also a lot of bad information out there.

Once you get that done, plan or rethink your system. What do you want to keep? Do you have the necessary equipment? Do you have the knowledge to keep the livestock you want? Do you have the time to dedicate to keeping a system and it's livestock?

Many salt water fish, corals and inverts often have very specific requirements. Some are extremely difficult to keep alive, even if you do everything right. Before you get anything, research it, and be sure it will work out in your system.

Lastly, you will find that most LFS people are clueless when it comes to SW systems. Verify their advice, until they prove otherwise.

Crowther

I have posted this before, but since your new to all this, I shall post it again. It's the very best advice I can give some one new to the hobby -

DaveK's Standard Lecture #1 – Advice for people new to the hobby

The very first thing you want to do, before you spend any money on equipment or livestock, is get yourself a few good books on state of the art reef systems. Then read and study them, so you have some idea about what your are doing.

Here are two to start with -

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paleta <---This book has an especially good section on fish suited to someone starting off in the hobby.

A note on the books. You can often find used copies at much lower prices at places like Amazon. In most cases these are going to be as good as new copies, especially when your first learning.

This is information that you can not easily obtain from the net. While it's out there, it's all over the place, and there is a massive volume of information. There is also a lot of bad information out there.

Once you get that done, plan or rethink your system. What do you want to keep? Do you have the necessary equipment? Do you have the knowledge to keep the livestock you want? Do you have the time to dedicate to keeping a system and it's livestock?

Many salt water fish, corals and inverts often have very specific requirements. Some are extremely difficult to keep alive, even if you do everything right. Before you get anything, research it, and be sure it will work out in your system.

Lastly, you will find that most LFS people are clueless when it comes to SW systems. Verify their advice, until they prove otherwise.

Thanks Dave. The LFS owner recommended the Paleta book. So, at least we're on the same page there.

SPR

I ran the Max E 260 for a few months last year before upgrading to my Max S 650 (so beware of the addiction!) so if you need any advice just ask and welcome!

PS - Id never run any type of aquarium either - best start studying!

Crowther

I ran the Max E 260 for a few months last year before upgrading to my Max S 650 (so beware of the addiction!) so if you need any advice just ask and welcome!

PS - Id never run any type of aquarium either - best start studying!

Believe me, I understand the risk of addiction. Fortunately/unfortunately the physical space that I have available is limited to the E-260. I was already eyeing the larger S series tanks before I ordered this one. Now, I'm eyeing an RO/DI system. Anyone have any insight on the Koolermax AR-122 6-stage RO+DI Aquarium Reef RO system or alternative recommendations?

Pat24601

Believe me, I understand the risk of addiction. Fortunately/unfortunately the physical space that I have available is limited to the E-260. I was already eyeing the larger S series tanks before I ordered this one. Now, I'm eyeing an RO/DI system. Anyone have any insight on the Koolermax AR-122 6-stage RO+DI Aquarium Reef RO system or alternative recommendations?

I would have had the S series a long time ago except the whole wife saying no thing, which really was the right decision. The 260 is a great size. Anything bigger would of have been too big for me.

I used the bulk reef supply rodi system. I really like it, but I can't speak to how it compares plus or minus to any others.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

Congrats on the new tank !