HELP! Puffer is sick

Melissa1977

Puffer has ich and is sick I believe possibly blind I had a saltwater consultant come out I ordered the uv sterilizer will not get here tomorrow any ideas to help him

Pancho75

Puffer has ich and is sick I believe possibly blind I had a saltwater consultant come out I ordered the uv sterilizer will not get here tomorrow any ideas to help him
You can try Medic from PolypLab, other members here have had success against ich using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

There are only two treaments for SW ich that are considered reasonably easy to do and are safe and effective, copper or hyposalinity. Either of these much be used in a quarantine tank and all the fish in the display tank should be treated.

See this post that will point you to other threads on treating this disease. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/...st-advice-on-ich-cryptocaryon-irritans.84013/

In my opinion, there are no "reef safe" medications that work, despite what your LFS, other people, or the label on the package says. I don't recommend using them, because they delay using hyposalinity or copper.

UV is also questionable. You need massive amounts of UV to kill SW ick. The amount is usually much higher than what you'll see in a typical SW UV setup. Contact time for uv is also critical. You usually need to run water through it fairly slow, compared to the rest of your filtration system when using it to control a disease.

Uncle99

UV will not rid you of Ick. Those puffers seem to be Ick magnets. Was he being chased?

100% support DaveK, I would (and have myself) follow his instructs, either hypo or Cupramine ( copper), or this fish and all other fish will die.

Ick makes the eyes go "glassy" breathing will be difficult, eating will stop. If not yet, it's coming as the parasite continues its cycle.

Sorry, Ick is bad news, but easily treatable outside the DT.

Your DT must now go fishless for 72-76 days. Ick cannot survive beyond this time without fish.

Cleaner shrimps might pick off some, UV may get some free swimmers, meds for the DT just don't work. Hypo or Cupramine!

Last edited:

saintsreturn

Once upon a time, i dose my DT to get rid of ick...

Dont do it. Follow the advice above and enjoy knowing it will be resolved at the end of the cycle. No short cuts, no magic potions, no fancy equipment. All of those will let you down and frustrate you even more.

Best of luck