Protein Skimmer?

reefnut

I have a 65 gallon reef tank. The problem is my sump is 9 x 10. I really would like for the protein skimmer to be in the sump. What would be a good effecient protein skimmer for this size tank. I have soft corals and LPs. Thanks, Rob

stonedfish

I just bought a precision marine redline series for my 60 gallon. So far I love it. Its really well built, looks cool, and pulls out way more crap than my CPR BAKPAK does.( And it started skimming by the second hour). The footprint is I think 8.5x 5.5. I got it through one of our sponsors. (Salty Supply.)

Attachments

• skimmer1.jpg
    skimmer1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 89
ive got a red sea prism. its very good so far at pulling nasty stuff out. almost as good as my berlin turbo that is four times the size

mps9506

ive got a red sea prism. its very good so far at pulling nasty stuff out. almost as good as my berlin turbo that is four times the size

IMO a prizm can't even come close to the skimming output of the two skimmers mentioned above.
The first two skimmers mentioned or equivalent sized Euroreef, terminator or similar style skimmer will do you fine.

michael_cb_125

I agree with Mike. The red sea prizm is not a quality skimmer, I had two. And I also had the RS Berlin Skimmer. IMO ALL Red Sea Products are not made very well, and the skimmers just dont perform very well. I am not trying to bash anybody, just stating my opinion.
~Michael

reefnut

are the precision marine redline series better than the coralife skimmers? are they easy to dail in? I have a coralife 125 on mine and it sucks!

mps9506

are the precision marine redline series better than the coralife skimmers? are they easy to dail in? I have a coralife 125 on mine and it sucks!

I haven't used the new PM skimmers. If it is anything like the old ones, then yes easy to use. I'm not a big fan of the Corallife skimmers. They over complicated a simple design and use crappy needlewheels.

reefnut

thks guys
i just want a good skimmer for this tank. Im plum tired of fighting with this damn thing. I got a custom 110 gal setup with the ASM g3, but we just have moved into our new home, and I have not had a chance to set it up. now Im thinking I want to put it in the wall, but that will be some time off from now, so that is why I want to get another protein skimmer to make my 65 gal as efficient as it can be. thks for all your opinions.
Rob

I'm telling you go with the new PM Red-Line, I own 2 of them and for the price,....WOW!!!!!!!( I also own a Bubble King and an ATI Bubble Master, just in case you think I'm not familiar with good skimmers) and ,yeah, absolutly blows any coral-life thing out the door!!!!! (only problem is they stop and must be re-started after a power outage)......(you probably don't live were I do, so that shouldn't be a weekly problem for you).-Dave

reefnut

thks OP
what do you mean by had to restart them both? do you mean having to adjust the settings again? thks Rob