Protein skimmer too big

Kennydakappa

Hello everyone my deltec protein skimmer is too big to go into my sump but it fits in my cabinet. Can i still use it? How do i set it up for my 250 display tank. Its not a hob

DaveK

What model skimmer do you have? Deltec make a lot of different models. Some of them can be installed externally others need to be in the sump.

Is the skimmer a new purchase? If so, then the best solution might be to return it and get something smaller.

How large a sump do you have? Perhaps the sump can be modified, or rebuilt.

Kennydakappa

What model skimmer do you have? Deltec make a lot of different models. Some of them can be installed externally others need to be in the sump.

Is the skimmer a new purchase? If so, then the best solution might be to return it and get something smaller.

How large a sump do you have? Perhaps the sump can be modified, or rebuilt.

Ap-701

Kennydakappa

Correction this sump is the Deltec AP851 which has been discounted. I got it from someone online. I want to know if I can still use it outside of my sump? and if so, how do i supply the water to it?

DaveK

You should be able to plumb the AP701 or AP851 to be external to the sump. If you go this route, install some sort of pan under it just in case the skimmer leaks or overflows. Also when you do the installation, use unions, and/or true union valves so you can disconnect the skimmer, and remove it for cleaining or maintenance.