protein skimmer for 180 gallon

StephNewman

What would be the best protein skimmer for a 180 gallon tank for less than $300.00.
I see a lot of skimmers that are under $200.00 that don't seem to be any different than the more expensive brands. Example, the Natutilus from Kent and Super Skimmer from Coralife compared to the EuroReef and AquaC. People seem to say there isn't much difference in price from these but I have not found any AquaC EV180 that is near the price of the Nautilus TE. The Nautilus even has a higher max tank limit. Why are these not more popular. What si different between these cheaper models over the higher end?
I want to get as good skimmer as possible but don't want to be wasting money if the cheaper ones do almost as good of a job.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Get a used ASM G3 :D

Definately save your money and get a good skimmer... ASM, Euroreef or Deltec all have outstanding track records.

Ohhh... Welcome to Reef Sanctuary! :)

Last edited:

boozeman

both Billy and Wittful run asm on 180 and 210 reefs ..beautiful tanks...check out those tank threads!!!

Warnberg

My Opinion, a skimmer is one of the single most important pieces of equipment you purchase for your tank. I would buy a proven, well known, efficient skimmer. First reason for this is for ease of parts if something goes wrong. Many skimmers out there are great until something breaks then almost impossible to find parts to fix it, so then you are faced with buying another skimmer. That is why I spent the money and bought a euro-reef, my local fish store has all the parts necessary to rebuild my pump if necessary. I always go back to the old saying " You get what you pay for "
You may want to check local reef clubs, several times there is someone that is tearing down a tank and selling a skimmer. As a matter of fact there is a guy here in Tampa that is selling his euro-reef.

mps9506

I've run both the corallife 220 and Euroreef skimmers. IMO the corallife skimmers don't come close in the performance of the euroreef or asm skimmers.

StephNewman

Thanks maybe I will ve some luck findi it usd, I defnantly think i ne to go higher thana ASM G3, the G4 woudl probably be good

lcstorc

Warnberg,
any details on the one for sale in tampa? in the market for a 2nd skimmer and I am in Cocoa so Tampa is workable.

prow

StephNewman said:
Thanks maybe I will ve some luck findi it usd, I defnantly think i ne to go higher thana ASM G3, the G4 woudl probably be good
wouldnt hurt to go with the G4. i run a G3 on my 150gal system, it handles it with no prob at all and i dont have the recir mod either. so for a 180gal i would think the G3 would be fine.

billyr98

i run the G4x... i wanted this because, you never know if you are going to add water volume.. And I have :)

the g4x is just a g4 with a bigger pump...

BTW - Thanks Boozeman!

cioutlaw

mps9506 said:
I've run both the corallife 220 and Euroreef skimmers. IMO the corallife skimmers don't come close in the performance of the euroreef or asm skimmers.

Ive run both as well, the Coralife is not bad for the money but I agree it does not compare to a Euro-reef

Jorgens

I also found a used G-4 per BoomerD's advice!! The best upgrade I have made yet. I too had a skimmer rated for 150g in my tank and the G4 makes it look like a nano skimmer. And the best part it only cost $200 shipped with pump. Keep your eyes out on the used market. You may find someone steping up to a larger tank or so and may need to sell. From my limited experiences...I must say it was the best move I've made so far!!!