Pros vs cons UV sterilizer

Themonsterisme

What are the pros and cons of running a 58watt UV sterilizer on a 400 total gal mixed reef system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

I would say that a 58watt UV sterilizer on a 400 total gal mixed reef system is a complete waste of your money. The UV unit is far too small.

More to the point. You put UV on a system to solve some very specific problems. For example, if you have green water from small algae in the water itself, a UV unit can clean this up over night.

Don't expect UV to be much of a factor in disease control. You need a tremendous amount of to kill the various parasite diseases.

My advice is to save your money unless you actually have specific problems to solve.

Themonsterisme

Well the 58watt UV was a freebie and my tank design is as follows-225gal display,75 gal sump and a piggyback 40gal breeder frag tank...not using it to solve any issues but wanting to use it to keep water clear...the 400 gal was a typo it's 340 total gallons

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have seen a couple members run one like this 50w from BRS ($689) says it's rated for up to 330 gallons - one key I always read is "proper" flow

but I still question the need for one after reading Lee's post above

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/emperor-aquatics-smart-high-output-uv-50-watt-1.html

50 WATT SMART HIGH OUTPUT UV STERILIZER SPECS
Model No. Maximum Aquarium Size No. Lamps/Watts Water Flow Rate Algae and Bacteria 30,000 µWs/cm² Suggested/Maximum Water Flow Rate
Protozoa
180,000 µWs/cm² Suggested/Maximum Input Watts UV-C Output Watts Dimensions (Inches) Inlet/Outlet
025050 330 Gallons 1/50 1560 GPH/1980 GPH 260 GPH/330 GPH 50 16 28" x 5¾" 2" Union

Themonsterisme

Thanks nano! Main goal with the UV wasn't a fix all but more of a water conditioner for algae or bacteria blooms

DaveK

Since you don't have any issues UV would solve, I'd say leave it out of the system. Remember, it's going to also kill and good plankton that flows through it. You would also have another piece of equipment you need to maintain and do bulb replacement for.

Since you have it, you could plump in into the system if you wanted to. It's not going to really hurt anything, but it will not help much either.

bigtankreefer

I've had UV on my tank before and I couldn't tell if it was doing anything. Didn't have any problems while it was on there but I didn't have any problems after I took it off either. Since you already have it you could plumb it in just in case you ever have an algae outbreak but other that that I'd agree with DaveK.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi bigtank

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance: