Potential stings and poisons in our reef tanks!!

FCatCH76

Last edited by Frankie; 04-21-2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Remove first line. No need to antagonize here. Were all needing to learn from this thread.

exactly my point!!! Don't understand the need to antagonize.

Kovu

I work at a pet store and people always want the weirdest stuff, so I get stung every day it seems like by all sorts of animals.

Frankie

RS STAFF
1283796039_by_sCr_500.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Let's get back on topic please! Take my word for it that Frankie was never singling out anyone, and is calling no one an idiot.

:threadjack:

FCatCH76

a little update, since this happened due to a failed heater, I had purchased the JBJ heat controller. The units are attached to the stealth pro heaters (ones with led) and so far they are great ( I bought 2, one for the BC29 and the RSM 250). Has been maintaining the correct temp for the past two weeks. What I like is that when it does not call for heat, the unit does not send any power to the heater.

Also, getting ready to file my claim with United pet group (marineland), sending them the heater and the maxi-jet 1100 that was shortening out in the water. Will update once they approve or disapprove my claim.

I often wonder if this problem was caused by the shortening pump which fried the thermostat in the heater???

Frankie

RS STAFF
translation: Mastering - the only way to survive in a world full of idiots

So now, everyone that has ever made a mistake is an idiot in your eyes...lol.....j/k
I posted that in regards to your quoting my edit. Yeah, that was an idiot thing to do.

I am glad you took the time to translate it. Truth be told I made my first post not even realizing what had happened to you or that you would take it personally. It was geared for everyone in general as most have figured out.

Concerning your experience, that really sucks and I am sorry you had to suffer so. I wish no harm on anyone. We do this hobby for pleasure not pain.
I hope you get some compensation for that companies errors.

I apologize to all for allowing this thread to derail so badly. I should never have let it go this far. Please forgive me. Especially you Terry.

As of now any more flaming in this thread that happens will result in the thread closing and the flamers status here on RS in question. This means everyone.

I hope all posts here are still ones to learn from and people can be more aware of the dangers we can encounter keeping aquariums.

I will be working on a news article soon on this very topic and still would love to get others insights from this discussion. So keep it coming!
Frank

catran

Stealth Pro heaters? Are those over 100w, if they are, they are recalled. Get them out of your tank and read the threads here about them.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
FCatCH76 - great news on getting the heater controllers. Hopefully you'll at least get reimbursed for the tank contents. Marineland has been pretty good about doing that.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Catran - it's probably not the right place to post this, but I got the below email from Foster & Smith on the 20th. I had thought that it was only the Stealth Pro above 75 watts, but it looks like others as well:

We're contacting you with important recall information regarding your Marineland Stealth Pro Heater (25W, 50W, 75W) purchased since October, 2009. United Pet Group (UPG) has determined that a wiring problem can cause the aquarium heaters to overheat or break during normal use, resulting in property damage and posing hazards to consumers.
As a valued customer, your safety and satisfaction is our priority. Please stop using your Marineland Stealth Heater and take the following steps:
1) Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
2) Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
3) Remove the heater from the tank
UPG will provide purchasers of the affected products your choice of a free replacement heater (Visi-Therm Deluxe) or mail you a refund check. Please contact UPG at (800) 338-4896 between 7:30 am - 5:30 pm EST Monday through Friday to begin the process.
If you'd prefer to arrange your return/refund through Foster & Smith Aquatics, or to discuss trying a Fluval M Submersible Heater as an alternate replacement instead, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-443-1160. Our friendly customer service representatives are always happy to help you, 7 am-10 pm, CST, 7 days a week.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please let us help you continue to enjoy your favorite hobby for many years to come!
Sincerely,
Customer Care Team,
Foster and Smith Aquatics
1-800-443-1160
CustomerService@FosterAndSmithAquatics.com

FCatCH76

I just received the letter from them...little late...pfft. They are recalling:

Stealth:
ETP 25-250

Stealth Pro:
ML90447- thru ML90454

Which is the four in my house and one in my father's tank. I called them but they were closed for the holiday. Wanted to know how they want these bad boys back...all together or separate from my claim. Remember too, I have a maxi-jet 1100 of theirs that was shortening out in the same tank.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I have an unused 75w one on the shelf that was to be used on a power outage, but not now - send it back I guess.

catran

They will tell you what to do when you get in contact with them. They sent a return sticker with my replacements.

MantisMan

Um...yea...gloves no matter what. wow thats almost terrifying. Possibly the most enlightening info ive learned yet. scary

DesertOrchid

I wear gloves when working in the tanks but have on occasion brushed against some daisy polyp xenias with my forearms that are growing in the upper levels of the tank........ leaves me with a miserable redness. Everyone keep in mind where your uncovered arms are in the tank too! Yes I have those long rubber 'welder' gloves but they are so cumbersome. Might be time to get them out! Be careful everyone no matter the inhabitants in our water world.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good articles Robert! I thought this taken from the first article was pretty scary:

"PS Venom enthusiasts know that the potency of poisons is measured using the LD-50 – the dose that will kill half a group of mice after a set time. The most venomous snake has an LD-50 of 25 micrograms per kilogram of body weight. For tetrodotoxin, the equivalent figure is 8 micrograms. For batrachotoxin, the poison from the skin of poison dart frogs, it’s 2-7 micrograms. For palytoxin, it’s 0.3 micrograms (or 300 nanograms)."

As DesertOrchid said it's not just Palys that need respect.