Potential stings and poisons in our reef tanks!!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Re: Palytoxin is not fun!

Nope - in this case repeated exposures can cause sensitization. This is true with many chemical substances. It's not the same as getting a flu shot, where the body builds up antibodies. There are no antibodies for poisons/toxins. In the chemical industry I worked in there were some chemicals that were found to be sensitizers - ones that with repeated exposure could end up causing severe reactions or worse - once that was known those products were removed from the product line.

Here's a nice series of videos that was put out by IceCap and Steven Pro on the dangers in our tanks. Interesting and informative.

YouTube - So you touched it now what? Part 1 of 6

YouTube - So you touched it now what? Part 2 of 6

YouTube - So you touched it now what? Part 3 of 6

YouTube - So you touched it now what? Part 4 of 6

YouTube - So you touched it now what? Part 5 of 6

YouTube - So you touched it now what? Part 6 of 6

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
(Copied above post to its own thread) Thanks Terry!
Great info to make a sticky!

Curehead

I watched this and it was very interesting and most importantly his stories really stick with you and make you think twice about disturbing anything in the tank if you don't have to.

I've definitely started washing my hands after ANY tank maintenance. As someone who spends a lot of time playing guitar and suffering seasonal allergies there are lots of hot spots in my life that could lead to leaving poisons
for later inadvertent consumption.

Thanks for the link.

seafansar

OMG, I have the same reaction to freshly made saltwater! My arm gets all splotchy and red when I mix up the last little bit on the bottom. I thought it was just from the cold water, but that makes sense. Also, bristleworms make me blister and it seems like any time I move a rock there's one on it. I now use storage tape (the clear kind) to get the bristles out and if I can get them all, my fingers won't blister.
That bacteria in the last video is scary!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sara - don't you wear gloves when moving a rock? Not using a pump & heater to help dissolve the salt?

seafansar

I don't wear gloves. I just live with the bristle worm stings. But thankfully I hardly ever move rock unless I'm putting up or taking down a tank.

I do use a pump and heater with my new saltwater, but there's always some at the bottom that won't dissolve unless I stir it up. Otherwise it makes a crusty pile on the bottom of the bin. And yes I point the powerhead at it, but it's just not enough. The reaction goes away pretty quickly (kind of like the red splotches you get if you take a hot shower) and it doesn't hurt at all, so I don't care all that much about it. Just found it interesting that it happens to someone else.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sara - what salt are you using? I've never had mine not all dissolve within an hour of mixing with heat. I use a pretty powerful pump though. An employee at one of my LFS has become somewhat allergic/sensitized to SW.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
OK on the IO. I used that for quite a while (but also not for quite a while since) and didn't noticed any that didn't dissolve. Oh well. I do believe you! :) I guess we're getting off topic now, but do you add the salt slowly? Adding it all at once may be causing some to precipitate before it can dissolve. Just a thought.

seafansar

I add it all at once. I'm sure that's the problem, but it's quick and I'm lazy. Really the reaction is nothing more than getting red marks. It really doesn't bother me. I react alot worse to bandaids, but I still use them when need be!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Yep, you're correct that's the problem. Adding it all at once has it hitting the water too concentrated and causing some precipitation of the chemicals that can be difficult, or even impossible to redissolve. You'll get more from your salt if you slowly add it, while the water is stirring, plus you won't have to put your arm in there and get a skin reaction! :)

FCatCH76

The story:

On Thursday night 4/7/2011 my tank heater (stealth 100watt), Friday while I'm at work my wife opens our sons door and sees this:

Biocube29.jpg

The heater failing caused the tank to crash. This is fish, sand, rocks and my DSB in the refugium. Thats where the ammonia and bacteria etc etc came from. Me stirring the sand beds, touching the rock with bare hands was not such a great idea. While all this is going on, I had a huge colony of the ugliest palys growing in that tank (hitch-hiker from another purchase). I figured the colony would be dead like everything else but it was still exuding the toxins into the water and again I was touching everything without gloves. In this pic you can see the greens palys.

IMG_1997.jpg

The ammonia levels were enough to affect my wife (who was helping) and our 2 year old son (2 rooms away). My wife was kept overnight in labor and delivery to monitor her and our newest addition (she is 8 1/2 months pregnant). My son sent home that morning with motrin for his fever and I had a 3 day stay in the ICU.

My symptoms were nausea, constant headache, metallic taste, dizziness, fever, labored breathing, shortness of breath and low blood pressure and heart rate. This was not a fun experience, quite scary and life changing.

Here are the test and treatments performed:
7 X- Rays
4 EKG
2 Echo Cardiogram
1 Cardiograms
9 bags of IV solution..yes 9
15+ vials of blood taken
vitals performed every two hours
Heart monitor 24/7 for the 3 days
3 liters of oxygen for 1 1/2 days, then down to 2 liters for 1 day
Spirometer
Respitory treatments
Lasik
Prednisone (steroid)
Albuterol (inhaler)
Protonix helps with stomach pains from steroid
Potassiums pills
and other pain relieving medication after my heart and blood pressure rose to acceptable levels. My fever was up to 103.8.

Waiting to go home:
IMG_20110411_113624.jpg

WEAR GLOVES and if you can, TAKE A DEAD TANK OUTSIDE or wear a respirator, because now I have to go back and get x-rays again to check for permanent damage to my lungs.

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks for posting this in this thread. Terrible situation for you and your family to suffer through. It's good for people to be aware of what can happen in a situation like this, or even with working in a healthy tank.

Wishing you all a speedy and full recovery!

Also points a good reason to consider using a heater controller to prevent a cooked tank.

And.... GLOVES GLOVES GLOVES!

FCatCH76

yes Terry, a heater controller would have done the trick. I ordered two of the JBJ heat controllers the day we found out the but a little late, just something that never crossed my mind, even though I had already been through 2 marineland heat failures.