Potential light purchase

Dougal

Hi,

Im thinking of replacing my current coralline PC fixture (on its last legs) with this light. http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticL...xtures-AquaticLife-AK01191-FILTFIT56U-vi.html

This is for my 46 bowfront which is currently FOWLR but I do eventually want a reef when I get more experienced controlling my water parameters. Any feedback on value & performance of this light or recommendations for other options in the sane price range? Thanks

Phil

DaveK

What your looking at is a good fixture, but you currently have a FOWLR. These don't require a lot of light. You can usually replace almost all the components in your existing fixture, like ballasts, sockets and bulbs.

Until your ready to go for a reef system, save your money. When you want to modify the system to become a reef, then do the lighting upgrade. There may be better options available then.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Dougal KUDOS to you for this one statement:

I do eventually want a reef when I get more experienced controlling my water parameters

That one heck of a strong and respectable statement! That's awesome and very "Forward Thinking" of you.

Dougal

Thanks BigAl. I did spend some $ on one upgrade recently. Replaced my coralife skimmer with an aquac remora pro. I can see a big difference in water clarity already and my nitrates are lower. Also the greasy film on the surface has virtually disappeared. Looks like$ well spent.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hi,

Im thinking of replacing my current coralline PC fixture (on its last legs) with this light. http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticL...xtures-AquaticLife-AK01191-FILTFIT56U-vi.html

This is for my 46 bowfront which is currently FOWLR but I do eventually want a reef when I get more experienced controlling my water parameters. Any feedback on value & performance of this light or recommendations for other options in the sane price range? Thanks

Phil

I own the aquaticlife "72 inch 12 lamp t5 on my 220. Its fairly well made the lighting is significant. However every 2 months my leds burn out. Aquaticlife sent replacement bulbs but then 2 months later they burn out again. I would not buy this light set if I had to do it all over again.

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

Dougal

thanks for that info Matt, good to know. There is a lot of very positive feedback on this vendors post sale customer service. Thats a biggie for me so they will stay on my list for now

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
thanks for that info Matt, good to know. There is a lot of very positive feedback on this vendors post sale customer service. Thats a biggie for me so they will stay on my list for now

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Ya I was real excited by the price and the praise. Honestly if i didn't want the leds at night I wouldn't care but I really like the night time leds. So do the corals.

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

tommyboynj

I have a 6 lamp nova extreme over my 75. When I was looking at lighting it was real hard to find that good all in one fixture. I ended up adding 6 current usa lunar leds to the hood. It was a real cheap upgrade and Looks great at night. Infact im planning in adding an addition six strips and tidying it up as the way I have it at the mo isn't as ascetically pleasing

tommyboynj

Here's a pic from when the tank was cycling. This is just with the leds on.

cf06051a.jpg

BLADEYAMAHA

Man I actually just talk to a sales guy at Marine Depot 2 days ago about those, he really liked them and pointed the brand out first because of one plug and separate timers for all the lights. He claimed that they are awesome. Don't know about longevity though, should give you ample lighting.