Possable way to enhance live blackworms

Paul B

As I have been mentioning for decades I feed my fish live blackworms every day and IMO is the reason all my paired fish are spawning, I have never posted on a disease forum and I don't have to quarantine. I think I have found a way to make a great food even better. I have been experimenting and discovered that the live worms can live even if covered in fish oil instead of water. I really don't see how they breathe in there but I have kept batches of them alive for seven hours so far and think they only die if they dry out as they do overnight. When I study them through my antique microscope, the oil infused worms have much darker insides which I "assume" is from the fish oil penetrating the worms exterior or being ingested by the worms. I really don't care how the oil gets into the worms but I always want fish oil to get into my fish so I have been doing this every day to a portion of the worms I feed my fish.
After I soak them for a few hours I need to rinse the worms off or the oil will form a layer in my tank and the skimmer will stop for an hour. To remove the oil I put the worms in fresh water and wait for the oil to rise. Then I pour it out and re fill it. I do that a few times and then feed my tank. Remember, this is only an experiment.
I love it. :rolleyes:

rostervandross

Thanks for posting this. I am bubbling and hatching my first brine shrimp eggs currently in my new hatchery! So these worms are next on my agenda

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
High quality food is so important and infused worms sound like a great addition!

SantaMonicaHelp

RS Sponsor
When I study them through my antique microscope, the oil infused worms have much darker insides which I "assume" is from the fish oil penetrating the worms exterior or being ingested by the worms.
Hm.. that really interesting! Thanks for this! So worms have surprises! )))