HELP! Popeye

Coraljunkie

Somehow my male clownfish has Popeye in one of his eyes. He stopped eating and last night I noticed him gilling hard. Today his eye is much more inflated. It's not cloudy or anything but it's literally popping out of his head.
Salinity 1.023
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate .5
Both clowns are in a 29g QT tank with no meds. They're just on standby until my display has been fallow for14 weeks which will be June7.
Dose anyone have any suggestions on how i can help? Or treat him?

Coraljunkie

Thanks, I just finished reading that thread. Unfortunately no one around here has maracyn 2. They were in a 10 gallon which was way too small and the nitrites wouldn't come down which is where the popeye came from I'm sure. I moved them into a 29g and closely monitored the water quality but he won't get better and stopped eating. He losing his color and gilling hard. My lfs sold me this stuff called tetracycline, they said it will work so I'm trying that and hoping for the best... anyone ever use this tetracycline?

Oxylebius

tetracycline is an antibotic. It will treat bacteria infections. Since you don't know if this case of pop eye is a bacteria issue or not, the tetracycline may not be effective.

A lot of popeyes go away on their own. Sometimes they happen if the eye gets scraped on something (e.g. like a net).

The gilling is an issue. How much circulation do you have in the QT? Do you think there is enough oxygen in the water?

If you had high nitrites, that may be the cause of gilling. And also means you had high ammonia as well. Both of which can have an effect on the fish. But, at this point there isn't anything you can do about it. Damage (if it is this) has already been done. Best to make sure that you keep both levels low in the future.

Lots to think about here. Really not much to do but not to cause additional issues.

Now that I am thinking about it, I would look up to see if using tetracycline will cause issues with the natural bacteria in the water. It may really screw up your biological filtration system. Thus, you need to monitor your ammonia levels and you will have to deal w/mini-cycles all over again.

Coraljunkie

I've got a hob filter rated for a 29g a 300 gph powerhead and an air stone. The ammonia and nitrites definitely hurt him but he was just about fully recovered then he came down with popeye.

Coraljunkie

It says that it doesn't mess with the natural bacteria. I'm so frustrated with this hobby. I'm about one more tragedy away from draining the tanks and never looking back.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
When I thought my anthias had popeye I just concentrated on keeping the water good and keeping him fed. Soaked pellets in selcon and fed good food. He made it just fine. Unless you're sure it's popeye, it could just be from him getting poked by something. I'd keep him stress free and well fed

Coraljunkie

Unfortunately he won't eat. I've been feeding them Hikari mysis, Larry's reef food, formula one pellets, rods fish food. I try soaking it in garlic bit no dice

DaveK

I'm not too fond of tetracycline in SW. It usually reacts with the salts in the water, turning the water bright red. I suspect that it may be ineffective at that point.

If you can't find maracyn 2 locally, order it online and have it shipped overnight. Despite what some labels will say just about any antibiotic will wipe out the good bacteria. This is why you always treat in a quarantine tank. If you get ammonia or nitrite readings you need to bring that down with water changes.

As pointed out by others, water quality is everything. If the fish was exposed to high ammonia and/or nitrite, it's going to be a long road back.

Keep a look out for other common diseases, especially Brooklynella, since the fish is weak and susceptible to them.

Coraljunkie

They're both in QT, they have been since I got them. I kept doing water changes almost everyday but unfortunately I couldn't get the nitrites to come down so I had to go out and buy an entire setup so I could move them into a bigger tank. Just before I was able to get them in the bigger QT he got popeye and stopped eating. Now he's laying on his side and pretty much dying. I don't think the maracyn 2 will even help at this point

Coraljunkie

Thank you. I'm pretty much broken at this point. I've tried doing everything the right way and still failing miserably. I'm very close to just giving up on this hobby for good.

Squatch XXL

I'm very close to just giving up on this hobby for good.
This hobby certainly has its pitfalls. I have kept fish and inverts in tanks of glass since as long as I can remember. In my youth I filled tanks with "livestock" found in the local creek. Always keep in mind that no matter how perfect you make a system, the death rate of any of our specimens is always 100% & Sometimes accidents happen. Tragedy has struck everyone at some juncture, and learning from it makes it less terrible.

Success takes time and is still precarious depending on our systems. Also, I try to never name an animal. I think that it is bad luck.

Coraljunkie

Thank you. I feel like it's been one thing after another and it hasn't been enjoyable. Hopefully the female will stay healthy andi can get her into the display in a few weeks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear ! Don't give up !
Sad%2Bface.png

dont-give-up-one-day-youll-look-back-and-be-glad-you-didnt-quote-1.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

sirrealism

Sorry for your lose. I lost my mandarin last week so i know it sux. You have done a good job and are still pretty new at this. If you give up you will be a statistic. Why do you think there are so many aquariums for sale on CL. Its because someone saw a beautiful tank, bought it, filled it, got frustrated and gave up. You have spent way to much time,money and energy to just give up. Last year I ended up with ICH and it wiped out all my fish which included 5 tangs and a couple other high end fish all in one day. I lost close to 1K worth of fish. I was frustrated because in all the years of doing this hobby I had never had ICH. I was ready to just sell everything. My wife would not let me! Dont give up!!! Its going to get better.