Pom pom pulsing xenia

erick85

I'm concerned with my pulsing xenia I just added to my tank. I know it has a tendency to be temperamental, but it seems it may be dying. It is shriveled and not pulsing. I've heard it likes "dirty" water, and this may be my issue. I have a 180g display, with 55g sump, 20g refugium, and recently modified two 45g trash cans into additional refugiums. I'm running a skimmer in the sump fit for a 300g tank, nitrate removing filter floss before water enters sump, two phosoban reactors with seachem denitrate, deep sand beds in all refugiums, shallow sand bed in display, lots of liverock. I also have sea grass growing in one of the 45g refugiums, it was growing in my 20g, but quickly encroached and starting killing my shaving brushes and my mangrove tree. I have star polyps, clove polyps, button polyps, goniporia, and two bubble anemones, all which are doing amazing. The tank is around 3 years old, so it is cycled. My lighting is two metal halide 400w 20,000k lights, and I have two powerheads (I forget how many gph) however, I'd say moderate flow throughout the tank. Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are virtually 0, salinity is slightly low right now (1.021)as I didn't mix enough reef crystals when adding the additional refugiums. I dose with Kent coral accel, Carib Sea purple up, and Aqua vitro vibrance. Tank is also stocked with around 50 assorted snails, 50 hermit crabs, cleaner shrimp, brittle star, blue lincia star, few emerald crabs, fighting conch, and sally lightfoot cleaner crew. Fish consist of a regal tang, powder blue tang, powder brown tang, sailfin tang, coral beauty angel, flame angel, two firefish gobies, two green chromis, and a royal gramma. Some reason my two percula clowns and my flame hawkfish died earlier this year. The flame hawk was a new addition, however the clowns were the first additions to the tank, along with the regal tang. Everything is doing really well right now except the xenia which has been in the tank about a week, but does not seem to be improving, any suggestions would be much appreciated!

erick85

I forgot to mention I'm also running dvoneb 6 stage ro/di and using instant ocean reef crystals for my water.

erick85

I've dosed with Aqua vitro vibrance iodide. the Carib Sea purple up also raises calcium, magnesium, strontium, carbonate, and iodine as well. I need new iodide test kit, but I usually keep it around .06 mg/l

Witfull

between .06-.08 is good. temp should be 78 min. good current flow but not direct. the first 2 weeks are crucial. they will pout as they adjust. you may have some die off, but regrowth can occur from the foot if it doesnt melt completely.

erick85

temp stays around 76-78. I moved it to a lower flow area and slightly lower in the tank where light will be less intense. if it doesn't improve soon, I may try to move it to sand bed. it's mostly intact, it has 4 stems and only one has had any melting. perhaps just some more tlc and patience is required. thanks for the input, will keep you updated!

Witfull

depending on the light it was kept at, it will need acclimation to that as well. as you said, and i know. Xenia is fickle

erick85

Indeed it can be. had it years ago in my 55 gallon tank with t5 and it did wonderful. this is my first attempt at xenia in the 180 gallon, it's just frustrating to see everything else thrive and this one struggle. I thought this one would flourish and I would have trouble with the goniporia, however it's been quite the opposite.

Witfull

best place i found to grow it is on the glass. easily fragged off with a clean razor and keeps it contained.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
@erick85

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie: