Pods

randy4083

I've got the new cpr aquafudge 2 small refugium and I was wondering if I need to turn the pumps off to add pods in there and do I turn the pumps off when I'm feeding them with plankton? I've got a pump to circulate the chaetomorph algae and there's the main pump so does anyone know what I gotta do?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
might want to turn the pumps off when adding them to let them settle out but when feeding phyto, it shouldn't matter much

randy4083

Won't the phytoplankton go into the tank if the pumps are on and then the pods wouldn't get what they should

randy4083

And I know when you put pods in the tank you have to turn the skimmer off so do I still need to if the skimmer is on the tank and not in the refugium

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I'd run the skimmer normally. The phyto should circulate back to the refugium from the tank, and some of your corals won't mind some phytoplankton feeding either.

randy4083

Can I add the pods anytime since there going in the refugium cause I know when you put them in the tank your supposed to wait until the fish are asleep but does it matter when I put them in

Oxylebius

Can I add the pods anytime since there going in the refugium cause I know when you put them in the tank your supposed to wait until the fish are asleep but does it matter when I put them in

You can add pods anytime, but I prefer to add them at night when my wrasse is asleep. When I have added in the day before, the wrasse was on them picking them off as they were poured into my tank. I also prefer to add pods with pumps off, to allow the pods to settle into the rocks, etc. easier.

randy4083

I added them early this morning before the lights came on and turned everything off all flowing stuff and the skimmer and left them off for 45 minutes so that should be good right and I was wondering when should I put phytoplankton in for them and some people say to turn the pumps off and skimmers just like when you add the pods and some say just to add it with everything on so what is best for this

Oxylebius

I add phyto weekly, during the evenings w/all pumps on. As @whippetguy mentioned, the corals would also benefit from phyto feeding. The pods will be able to get it as well, you don't have to worry about it. If you are concerned, you can cut the pumps briefly, feed the pods phyto, and then turn the pumps back on.