Pocillopora Base turning green

Choff

Hey, recently picked up a pink Pocillopora from DD. The branches are all doing very well. Good polyp extension, but the base stem is turning green and not in a good way. Looks like there are no polyps at all there. Almost like algae growing, but I don't think it's algae.

Any help is appreciated.

IMG_4341.jpg

IMG_4341-1.jpg

Choff

I dipped and put it into better flow. Anyone seen a poc turn green like that before?

Sent using Tapatalk 2

BLADEYAMAHA

I'd just be on full alert myself, I already be fragging, too many times have I wasted time and waited to see, its a waste to me, if there is a chance of it dying to me, frag it while you can, if I've learned one thing the hard its that, I'd already be insuring myself with healthy pieces while I could, period. I think that's spoken like a true Reef Jedi, IMO.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Firstly, I don't have experience with this particular type of coral, but I'm in agreement with fragging off the healthy portion to try and save it. Hope it turns out well.

steved13

PREMIUM
FWIW I know you said you didn't think the green was algae, but that would be my first guess. I think the nutrients from the necrotic tissue has given the algae a good feeding spot. I had one do that and the algae took hold quickly and the coral went down hill fast. It was in my RSM just before I upsized, so the RSM was somewhat neglected for a little bit.

Smell test might be in order, and then if it doesn't pass frag it.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Smell test always works..... Dead coral tissue smells quite wretched.