PO4 in 0 TDS Water!

Setragni

I have been in a loosing battle with phosphates for a while. After dozens of tests i found out that my RODI unit is not removing any phosphates from the water.

Membranes are 4 months old and TDS is 4 after RO and 0 after DI.

PO4 on tap water is 0.11 and after RODI its still 0.11.

Btw im using a Hanna Checker for the tests and i own a typhoon extreme 3 RODI filter.

Anyone with a similar experience?

Thanks

RacinRevo0818

I know the cheaper Hanna checker doesn't work with fresh water. I contacted brs about a similar problem and they said could be the problem but was more then likely feeding. They said people have had luck running a gfo reactor inline with your rodi filters. By no means a expert

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Just to clarify....is your DI Resin only 4 months old too?

how much water do you run through it a month?

Setragni

Yes only 4 months old. I make only 10-15g per week.

On hannas website it says the checker can be used on fresh water.

Setragni

I know the cheaper Hanna checker doesn't work with fresh water. I contacted brs about a similar problem and they said could be the problem but was more then likely feeding. They said people have had luck running a gfo reactor inline with your rodi filters. By no means a expert

What do you mean by feeding? Im testing fresh made RODI water.
Thanks!

steved13

PREMIUM

Setragni

Ok this is getting frustrating. I ran 5 gallons of rodi water thru my GFO reactor for 2 hours and after that it tested 0.28. Higher!!
What the heck is going on?!!

DaveK

What you do in a case like this is to try and pin down the problem. Here is what I'd do. Get a new DI filter and a new, decent but inexpensive, phosphate test kit. Then test the water with your new test kit for phosphate. As nice as the Hana checker is, it's not perfect. If the test kit reads 0, suspect a problem with the Hana checker. If the reading is other than o, replace the DI filter, flush about 5 gal through it and retest. The water should be 0

BTW, do not discard the old DI filter until your sure it's bad. Spending money on that DI filter isn't an issue, because you can always use it later on.

Lastly, some plastics and some carbons can leach phosphate. It's kind of rare but can occur. If you suspect that try collecting the water in a glass, for testing.

Setragni

I have a friend who works on a water plant. He told me cheap stuff like the hanna checker wont work on purified water. Hes taking a sample of my water to test on their lab.
We'll see. I will keep you posted.