Plenum with water return below the sand

jdrmd

I bought a 135 gal tank recently and all the plumbing was already setup. The bottom has eggcrate wrapped in screen covering the bottom. The eggcrate is elevated above the bottom about 1 cm by plastic and pvc(the guy did a really nice job setting it up). The water return is directed below the screen wrapped eggcrate in two places adjacent to the internal overflows. The tank was used as a fish only tank before. I am setting up a reef tank with live sand and rock. What is the current opinion on this kind of setup. It is kind of like a plenum but has the water returning to the plenum space. I would really appreciate some thoughts on this kind of a setup.
thanks
john

mps9506

For a reef, I'm not generally a big fan of plenum setups. Or in general for that matter (everyone will have a different opinion on this).
It doesn't achieve anything that you will not achieve with sufficient live rock, good protein skimming and proper nutrient control.
That is not to say don't use it, if you are interested in setting up a tank with that method it is fine, however IMO not needed.

Frankie

RS STAFF
It doesn't matter Mike. Set up like this and it is not a plenum any longer. It would act more as a fluidized bed.
Personally I would not set this reef up this way. Having a return plumbed up from the bottom is stupid. Too risky for a complete tank drain during a power outage. I would use the holes for a closed loop for added flow and come over the top for the return.

swissgaurd

i ran a plenum for yrs and it worked well
water going underneath would not make it a plenum and probably not work well
i think it would operate like an undergravel filter.
i would just use a 4" sand bed with live rock.

vic

jdrmd

It doesn't matter Mike. Set up like this and it is not a plenum any longer. It would act more as a fluidized bed.
Personally I would not set this reef up this way. Having a return plumbed up from the bottom is stupid. Too risky for a complete tank drain during a power outage. I would use the holes for a closed loop for added flow and come over the top for the return.

The return system has a small surface return which will stop the siphon in the event of a power outage. I was wondering if anyone had tried this before. I can change the return system fairly easily. I don't know about a closed loop system. Could you elaborate?
Thanks
John

BLAKEJOHN

A closed loop is closed circulation system. Basically the water is sucked out of the tank and returned directly to the tank in a different location without going through a sump.