Please suggest a new fish or two for my established reef tank.

sixline

My beloved sixline wrasse has recently passed after about 6 years. He was meaner than Lisa Lampanelli, so I was unable to add any other fish while he was in there. Now I am looking to make some additions.

So far, here is what is in my 100 gallon tank:

-One 6" engineer goby
-A pair of false percula clownfish
-A bunch of soft and LPS corals
-A bunch of crabs, and urchin, and a bunch of snails

I'm pretty much set against an angel, as I'd be worried about my LPS. I'm considering adding a pair of cleaner shrimp and a single fire shrimp, so I'd like the new fish(es) to be compatible with shrimp. Although for the right fish, I'd forgo adding the shrimp.

Any ideas?
I'm considering another wrasse of some sort, a midas blenny or starry blenny, or some firefish or a royal gramma. A nice showpiece wrasse would be nice, but I'm not a big fan of the flasher and fairy wrasses (or at least the types with which I am familiar).

Please let me know if you've got any ideas. I've got a decent amount of space to fill.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I can't imagine a tank without a Royal Gramma :D ...that would be my 1st addition choice. Just an all around bright, colorful, peaceful little fish :)
You have some good ideas in your 1st post...Be sure to update your choice with pictures.
VERY BEST WISHES...:cruiser:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think the yellow coris wrasse would be a great addition. They are such good maintenance fish as they destroy flatworms and bristle worms and they are a nice bright yellow.

I used to throw bristle worms from my filter sock back into the tank for her. It might be the first fish in my next tank. Love the fox face Lo as well

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Shrimps might be a problem when feeding the LPS as they tend to snatch away the food.

blazend

Angels are a tough one cause some are not good in a coral setting. Honestly with the size of your tank i would be going with a yellow eyed kole tang, coris wrasse, christmas wrasse, melanarus wrasse or a cool rabbitfish. Orange spotted or foxface.

mtsully71

You don't have to get a big angel, but the dwarf angels would be fine, coral beauty, flame, potter etc. Also any of the blennies, jawfish, chromis.

You really have a lot of choices

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
I vote for blennies. Starry blennies are one of my favorites. I like how it looks like they have a mustache, and my kids love him since he is always so proud perching on the rocks and eating nuisance algae off the glass, leaving "lipstick" marks.

I would vote against certain wrasses, any angels, and all grammas this soon, sometimes they are territorial, so you'll want your other prize fish (special fish, rare fish, etc) in the aquarium first so they can have preference over territory, then introduce the wrasse or other territorial species they won't be able to claim a territory and behave more nicely.

The first rule I abide by when selecting a fish is will they get along. I lose more fish to incompatibility than anything else (except anthias, don't get me started there).

A good rule of thumb, a tank this size will comfortably fit only one angel, so choose wisely. Angels have always been my troublemakers so I don't have angels any more.

Jeff

sixline

Bumping since I finally got a few new inhabitants. I've added a pair of skunk cleaners and a starry blenny. This is my first time owning a starry blenny (I've had lawnmowers before), and I'm surprised at how shy and skittish he is. It has been about three weeks and he still hides a lot and darts into the rock work whenever anyone approaches the tank. I am used to lawnmower blennies being very active and in the open a lot and having a much different character. At least the starry blenny is eating - his belly is nice and fat.

Are starry blennies generally more shy and reserved than lawnmower blennies?

Curent inhabitants:

-One 6" engineer goby
-A pair of false percula clownfish
-A bunch of soft and LPS corals
-A bunch of crabs, and urchin, and a bunch of snails
-Starry Blenny
-A pair of skunk cleaners

I am still looking to add another fish. Perhaps another sixline or a kole tang. I would add a royal gramma, but I really want something more active since most of the fish I have are the kind that stay near or on the rock work. The wrasse or the tang would add a lot of motion to the tank and also help fill the upper part of the tank.

sixline

I will be posting pics the next time I am at home when the lights are still on in the tank. (%@!@# job!)

Any other wrasses besides a sixline to consider that won't eat ornamental shrimp?

mtsully71

TADA

Clown_Fairy_Wrasse_ps.jpg

Clown fairy wrasse