Please Recommend a Very Good Protein Skimmer for Small Sump (10" wide x 14" deep)

SkyReef

Hey, all:

I heard that Euro-Reef makes a very fine protein skimmer, but I can't find one to fit in my small sump, which measures 10" wide x 14" deep. Actually, I'd like to use only a small footprint size of that available space for my protein skimmer: 7" x 7". Height is not an apparent problem because I have up to 20" available in height in the sump and cabinet space above the sump. Regarding types of protein skimmers, I hear good things about cone-design skimmers, but they seem to occupy a larger footprint, all things being equal.

Could you all kindly recommend a very good protein skimmer for my small sump? Ideally to fit in 7"x7" footprint, but I can go larger, if necessary. However, doing so will cut down on the other partitions in my sump, which I have yet to install because of the uncertainty surrounding the footprint size of my protein skimmer.

My relevant equipment specifications are as follows: (A) the sump in which the protein skimmer will operate is small--large enough to capture only 10.9 gallons of water, but I would like to operate the sump using only about 7.3 gallons, with 3.6 gallons reserved as an emergency overflow and; (B) the protein skimmer will need to skim the water of two small tanks, which feed water into the single, common sump discussed above: (1) a Nano Cube 28-Gallon Aquarium, functioning as a reef aquarium; and (2) a BioCube 12-Gallon Aquarium, functioning solely as a refugium.

In case you're wondering: The weird dimensions of my homemade sump result from the small, narrow dimensions of the cabinet space in my aquarium stand. The stand is that one that JBJ sells, with the brushed chrome-like pillars supporting a platform for the NanoCube 28. That stand looks good, but it produces a very tight cabinet space. Hence, when designing and building my sump, I had to go narrow, deep, and tall with my sump dimensions: 10"wide x 14" deep x 18" tall.

Thank you all very much.

SkyReef

What is the water depth where the skimmer will set?

Hey, Tnwillia: Thanks for the quick response. The water depth is variable, in relation to the protein skimmer, because it can be put on a stand in the sump, or it can rest directly on the floor of the sump. Without a stand, I predict that the protein skimmer will sit quite deeply in water: about 11"-12".

tnwillia

OK, you have the ability to raise it. Most want appx a 8 to 10" water level. The ER skimmers are super and it looks like the life span problem on the impellers has been improved. You can talk to Todd (redseareef) or Robbert (nanoskim) in that thread. Robbert built me a sump skimmer for my RSM 250 to fit a spicific water depth in a Fuge I used for a sump that had a 14" water depth. They can tell you if it can be done or not to your size footprint and cabinet height. Good luck!

tnwillia

Maybe going in a different direction of thought. Since your space is so narrow could you remove the back panel of the stand and use a HOB skimmer on the sump?

SkyReef

OK, you have the ability to raise it. Most want appx a 8 to 10" water level. The ER skimmers are super and it looks like the life span problem on the impellers has been improved. You can talk to Todd (redseareef) or Robbert (nanoskim) in that thread. Robbert built me a sump skimmer for my RSM 250 to fit a spicific water depth in a Fuge I used for a sump that had a 14" water depth. They can tell you if it can be done or not to your size footprint and cabinet height. Good luck!

Maybe going in a different direction of thought. Since your space is so narrow could you remove the back panel of the stand and use a HOB skimmer on the sump?

Hey, TnWillia:

Thanks for the quick response. I don't want to remove the back panel of the tank stand because I have concerns about losing structural support for the tank. As such, I probably won't go in the direction of a hang-on-back skimmer, but it was a thoughtful suggestion. As well, I have been hearing a lot of good things about two skimmers I hadn't considered before: (1) SWC Xtreme 120 Cone Protein Skimmer, which has a very small footprint: 7.25" x 6" (18 inches tall, which works fine in my stand); and (2) the SRO-XP 1000 SSS, which has a larger footprint: 9.5" x 7.5" (20.5" tall). As between the two, enthusiasts give them both high marks. It seems as if the SRO may draw more air, which is desireable, than the SWC. It also seems that the SWC may run a little quieter than the SRO. However, both pumps could easily handle my bio load, and the SWC's small footprint may force my hand in selecting it over the very fine SRO. Not sure. Still deciding. The SRO costs more, but cost is not really a factor here: 50 bucks more could mean 50 bucks more in value. So I don't sweat the money part. I'll figure it out. Thanks for your input.

tnwillia

Terry (reffmack) is running the SWC 120. I had the 160 and it ran fine but I'm not using it now. I think the footprint is going to drive what you get. Your skimmer is one of the things not to try to "get a deal" You really do get what you pay for with skimmers. Good luck!

SkyReef

Terry (reffmack) is running the SWC 120. I had the 160 and it ran fine but I'm not using it now. I think the footprint is going to drive what you get. Your skimmer is one of the things not to try to "get a deal" You really do get what you pay for with skimmers. Good luck!

Thanks, Tnwillia. Your information is helpful.

SkyReef

Hey, all:

Thanks for your input. Your suggestions were very good. After careful consideration, and based largely on the limited sump size I have, I went with the Salt Water Connection (SWC) XTreme 120 Conical Protein Skimmer. I purchased it for $224.99, the lowest price I could find. I was going to buy it directly from the manufacturer, via SWC's website, but I would have been overcharged for shipping--over $30.00. Instead, I purchased it through Amazon Dot Com (who will get it from TB Aquatics), and shipping will only cost like $7.95 instead. Estimated delivery will be about 3-5 business days. Thanks again.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The SWC 120 is a great skimmer - I really like mine and haven't had any problems with it.

SkyReef

What about a Bubble Magus Nac6...I have one that fits perfect in my 19g sump..

The SWC 120 is a great skimmer - I really like mine and haven't had any problems with it.

Here is a SWC 120/160 review you may have already seen, but just in case. Have fun! SWC 120 & 160 cone protein skimmers unboxed and first impressions

Thanks, WVU Reefer, Reefmack, and TnWillia: your responses are helpful. WVU, I'm sure the Bubble Magus Nac6 works great. Reefmack and TnWillia: I look forward to the arrival of my new SWC 120. TNWillia: I have seen the review you referenced, and all the input was beneficial.

Thanks again, all.

SkyReef

I've never used one of these. One things for sure, it's small. I'm sure there's plenty of customer reviews to go over, if you're interested.

AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115

Thanks, Frag Farmer. It was a good size-recommendation, but I wanted to go a little more high-end to avoid potential problems. Also, I wanted to use the conical-design skimmer, rather than the straight-deisign skimmer, to reduce backpressure on the skimmer pump.