Please help me with any ideas on removing these....

igoblox

Please help me with any ideas on removing these..(AIPTASIA)

I had another post about removing a single aiptasia from the back of my BioCube29. As went to remove the pest from the second chamber I found 2 other smaller ones in my 3rd chamber.
I have Aiptasia X arriving tomorrow, but there is no way for me to reach the 2 new ones I found in the 3rd chamber.
The pic below illustrates the chambers and the red dots are where the aiptasia are.

If I shut off my return pump then chambers 2 and 3 (where anems are) will be completely separate from the rest of my tank.

What I am wondering is...can I dump boiling fresh water down into chamber 2 and 3, killing the aiptasia? Then possibly siphon the water out and let those 2 chambers sit dry for a day or two.
Will this work?
Will it definitely destroy the anems and the larva?
If not does anyone have any suggestions?

Any input is helpful.
Thanks.

bc_zpsd45a7e2b.jpg

Last edited:

bullet

i would hate to have you do that and compromise the rest of your tank its better to try and reach them with a turkey baster or a sea squirt you can get one at Drs foster & Smith for under $10.00

igoblox

I have a turkey baster, I just cant get my hand down to where the bottom 2 are.
Last night when I slowly stuck my hand in there to see how close I could get, both of them quickly retracted. The bottom couldnt even be seen.
The chambers are completely separate from the main tank, once you remove the pump and drop the water below the return.
The very bottom one is attached up under a lip between the chamber walls.
So I am to the point of injecting the ones I can reach with aiptasia x, siphoning out the anems once they detach.
Then siphon out all the water I can and dumping a gallon of near boiling water down there.
Letting it sit for 15-20min, removing the water and drying it out the best I can and leaving it dry for 24-28hrs.
The only issue I can see is that it may raise my main water column 3-4 degrees, since the chamber walls arent very thick.

Any point in trying to put some peroxide or white vinegar down there? Or is that to risky?

Thanks for the reply.

reefer gladness

If you can't get to it with Aiptasia X or Joe's Juice I'd just let it be. Or you can buy a high-powered laser, that's a fun way of destroying aiptasia also.

At the end of the day I'm not aware of anyone who has permanently eradicated aiptasia from there system. I thought I had it licked once, didn't see aiptasia for 6 months until I kicked an aggressive peppermint shrimp down to the sump and it came back within weeks. Nowadays I always keep a couple peppermint shrimps in the display tank to keep it under control.

igoblox

Thanks for the reply.
Is there a major issue with the hot water dump?
I know its only one but its right in front of my return pump intake, it would be chaos if it released larvae in the water.
I would perfer to be as proactive as possible. (without creating a bigger problem)

I have scanned every nook and cranny I can see with a flashlight, right now the only ones I can find are the 4 in the back chambers. Doing my best to keep it that way.

I can't use peppermint shrimp because my flame hawk would make a snack of him.
I cant use CBB because my tank is only 29gal and I have 3 fish already in there.

Susan987

I used aiptasia x for the aiptasia in my overflow, which caused about 20 aiptasia to form. I then watched a guy on youtube who used boiling water. I attempted it and all of my aiptasia are gone except for one. The problem with the chemicals, like aiptasia x and joe's juice is when you hit them, you can actually cause them to shed, only to develop more at a later time.