Please advise on this Montipora

cracker

Evening folks, I a have type of red montipora that was gifted to me. It came with some fancy name Red sunrise something. So It is bleaching/receding from the edges. I will show Ya'll a pic at the end. Now my success with corals has been hot or miss at best some do fine and even grow, others just slowly fade. I really want to save this piece. So after a lot of reading, I'm left with 3 basic questions.
1 check and improve water conditions
2 position it more or less light. It's pretty much center in the tank.
3 feed the poor thing. What would You suggest feeding it? I have been using the cloudy water I get after I soak the fish food and frozen cubes of pysine and some form of green coral food. Now the fish food is chopped clam, salmon silverside, mysis and rod's omnivore

Now the guy gave me a green chalice ,with another fanciful name and it's doing just fine!
Should I move it to a shady spot and keep feeding or return it before I kill it?

Marty.h

What's your water stats

Alk
Calcium
Mag
PH
Phosphate
Nitrates

What lighting was it under previously and what position in there tank and what flow was it receiving.

What's your current lighting and flow like where it is.

Was it in 100% good condition when you got it.

How long has you tank been running and are parameters stable.

Chucking the cloudy water in from frozen food will just be chucking phosphate in you water you better of using something like reef snow ect.

Looking at that picture I see you have some algae present because you have that it may give you a false phosphate and nitrate reading it would be best to test them early in morning before lights come on as algae will consume those.

Sorry for all the questions but helps to build a picture of what's going on and will give people reading this more of an idea on how to advise :)

cracker

Sorry I can't give You accurate numbers for the reasons You state. Yes, the tank is high nutrient. I need to rethink my question. I was looking for some OP's on what I could do in the short term while I work on the nutrient thing. I have been spot feeding this piece not chunking phosphates from frozen food into the tank. In fact I have been very careful to avoiding just that. Again my apologies for not being more clear on the question.

Last edited:

Marty.h

It could be the high nutrients causing your issues also montipora will require good Alk,Calcium,Mag levils I would personally get that piece into a system that can fully provide the conditions it needs until you get your system nutrients in check for it.

I have a lot of montipora in mine both plating and encrusting I've never spot fed it I just broadcast feed and it grows like a weed but I keep the parameters in check mine runs at

Phosphate 0
Nitrate 0
KH 9.3
PH 8.3
Magnesium 1350
Calcium 400
SG 1.026
Temp 26 degrees

with balling trace elements are also added and I supliment 4ml of iodine per 1 litre of part C which doses the equivalent of 0.56ml per day so a trace.

I use reef snow , reef roids and other liquid food supliments which are broadcast fed.

The only thing you can do is step up water changes to bring the nutrients down and use something like Red Sea Coral Pro salt which has elevated levels.

What salt are you presently using ?