HELP! Plastic Dice aquarium safe?

I admit it. I am a gamer. My wife is also a gamer. Magic, Dungeons & Dragons. Etc.

So, we are setting up a new tank, and want to nerd it up a bit.

Can anyone tell me if the standard plastic gaming dice are tank safe?

If not, is there anything I can coat them with to make them tank safe?

Talking about these type ones...

51xGWNQvZ2L._SX355_.jpg

DaveK

The plastic would be safe, but it all depends upon how they put the numbers on. There are different processes. Sometimes they are just painted or printed on and that way you can't be sure. On the other hand they might be made out of different plastics, and that would tend to be ok.

It's almost impossible to coat anything that your going to use in SW and expect the coating to last. Live rock, sand, livestock, and the water itself tend to go through any coating quickly.

Rather than put them in the tank, why not display them outside the tank? That way there is no risk.

silver97

You could possibly look online for a fish safe version. I'm sure tons of people have had the same idea you did and some company somewhere most likely makes them. I think if they are made out of polygen or some other fish safe material you'd be good.
But definitely don't put those in the tank right now, @DaveK has a good point on the fact of how its made. The paints can wear off over time and poison the water.
I know buying other dice might not be your first option, but it's probably the safest