Pipefish cleaning a copperband

Paul B

This is something I have not seen before with pipefish. The copperband seeks out this pipefish and they stay together while the pipefish inspects and eats irritations or maybe parasites that I can't see off the copperband.
They have been together for 15 minutes so far and the copperband seems to be smiling. The multibanded pipefish is to large to get inside his gills but he finds some bits of food on his skin. :D

Paul B

The pipefish travels around but as soon as the copperband sees him, he darts over to him and they stay together until the pipecleaner gets bored or can't find anything on him to eat.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
That's pretty awesome. The stuff that must go on in a natural reef is amazing, always puts a smile of your face when you find something new in your tank

ReefApprentice

Wait are those Dunckerocampus pessuliferus? If so how have been, care wise? Ive read they do good for awhile then wither away after awhile. But that's interesting behavior Paul!

Paul B

Wait are those Dunckerocampus pessuliferus? If so how have been, care wise? Ive read they do good for awhile then wither away after awhile. But that's interesting behavior Paul!

That reminds me of an old girlfriend of mine.
I have had bluestripes for years and a couple of dragon faced pipefish for a while but these are fairly new so I can't comment on them yet. They eat all you give them and I have plenty of pod eaters. There are these two, and the dragon face a spawning pair of mandarins and a scooter dragonette. There is usually also a spawning pair of bluestripes and they live a few years but I just lost the pair in my new Korilia powerhead. Now I re designed it so I don't lose pipefish. If I can't keep these Multibanded pipefish for at least 3 years, I will consider that a failure as their lifespan isn't mush longer than that.

Pregnant bluestripe.

ReefApprentice

Sucks to hear about the blue stripes but if you've kept those pipefish happy , I cant wait to see how well these guys do.:)

Paul B

I have luck with pipefish as long as I keep hatching brine shrimp. My blue stripes live for a few years and that is their life span. They also spawn all the time. I lost them in the stupid Korilia powerhead which has pipefish size slots. It is fixed now. I also hope these do well. The dragon face seems content and I would also like to get him a mate.