Pinkish-Red Algae-good or bad

Susanedw

Turned on the lights this morning and I see this pinky-red stuff on some rocks and sand. My tank has dry rock, but my daughter gave me some coral frags on some rock, plus I bought a coral on a rock frag, so if it is good stuff, it came in on coral frags.

Girl at LFS said not to do a water change yet--to wait a month. Am & Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10-15

Tank specs: RS Max c250 all in one.
Tank is 12 days old and cycled (used biospira). Added 2 clowns on the 23rd and they are happy and added an assortment of corals that are happy so far. GBTA is hiding in a deep crevice in a rock. Assuming she can get out of there is she wants. Turned off wavemaker until I can put netting around it in case the GBTA goes walkabout. Feather duster is also happy.

Have 3 cerith, 2 turbans, 4 Narsarious snails. One pic shows the frag with some stuff on it. If the stuff isn't the bad cyano, then it came from this frag. If it's bad, do I do nothing and let it play out or take some action
20161227_100908_resized.jpg 20161227_091428_resized_1.jpg

Susanedw

Not on sand. I looked again and don't see any. just rock, esp. where I was trying out some of the coral frags

cracker

Hi Miss Susan, If this tank is only 12 days old ,You will see all kinds of stuff come and go. Please consider not adding any critters for a while !

mr_tap_water

Hi there in my opinion the first picture looks like Cyano , A couple of things worth a try is increase your circulation so you have no dead spots and if it's only in small areas like the first picture try cleaning it off with a toothbrush, and as said above you will get all types in the beginning and may burn itself out if you're lucky.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Susanedw

The cyano seems to be going away. After a couple of hours of wavemaker back on and lights, it disappears. Next morning, just a touch but in different spots and not bad. Just a hint of it. My tank seems to be dealing with it on its own at present.