Pinkish Purple growths.. coraline algae?

msalih81

Hi please forgive the blurry pictures but I hope someone could identify the pinkish purple growths coming out of the live rocks. I didn't know if it is Coraline or something else. I felt them and they have a texture if rock and are coming out of the rock, maybe 1/4-1/2 inches high. They also have 3-4 nodular type things on the top. My tank is in hyposalinity for 4+ weeks and I didn't think coral or Coraline algae could grow in that environment. Also if you look at the first picture, on the left side of the rock you can see a different one a little clearer, My SG is 1.010. Any ideas guys? Thanks

Attachments

• download-1.jpg
    download-1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 57
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 57

msalih81

Am I correct in that Coraline algae won't grow at 1.010 SG? Also another question, I have fish in the Hypo DT, I had live sand in there and have read that most of the "live" organisms in the sand probably perished by now. I bought 2 bags of live sand yesterday and was planning on starting to add that in to re-seed the sand I have in the tank currently after I have brought my salinity back to normal next week. Now I'm not sure how I should do this correctly because I have fish in there now. I don't want to cause any new cycles in the tank and not sure if the cloudy water is bad for the fish. My nitrates have been a problem the past couple of weeks and I'm hoping the new live sand will help with that, or will it make it worse?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I had live sand in there and have read that most of the "live" organisms in the sand probably perished by now.

Most Live sand you buy is not really alive, think about this..., if I wanted some "Live sand" from the ocean or a friend established tank & we took it & bagged it & let it sit at room temp for a month or more... how "alive" it would be...

IMO - "alive sand" is not very alive & your sand is mostly "as alive" ... most of your beneficial good bacteria is contained in your LR

My nitrates have been a problem the past couple of weeks and I'm hoping the new live sand will help with that, or will it make it worse?

Would not think adding new sand here would help... water changes will... Nitrate (NO3) reduction is directly proportional to percentage of Water Change.

but see what others think...

msalih81

Nitrates drop by themselves when cycling is really complete? Or they'll never drop by themselves without water changes? I did do a 30% wc a couple of days ago and the nitrates went down a lil bit but are still higher then i'd like. .30 ppm I think.

msalih81

Think I have a fish too many in there too I've been trying to get my bluejaw trigger out but I'm going to have to remove all the rocks to get him =(

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Nitrates drop by themselves when cycling is really complete?

I guess I should say... an established DSB (deep sand bed over 6 inches) might help...

basically... nitrates go nowhere- they just accumulate... something has to export them... I use water changes & GFO

Here a good :read:Nitrates! « Joe Jaworski’s Weblog

Sure some of our members that post in RS Reef Chemistry Forum can expound more... :)