Pinched mantle disease?

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I'm sure she'll be fine :) many have done the fw bath with great success! I'd give her a few days before your next one though

DaveR11

She's not looking good this evening. Her mantle is withdrawn and not reacting to light. I had to banish the big cleaner shrimp to the sump last night as it wouldn't leave the clam alone. I think I may have left it too long to treat the pinched mantle.....

DaveR11

Oh great Neptune, please say it is not true. Say it is not so!

Sad news Squatch, Neptune said no (I'm more of a Poseidon man myself....). I came down to the lounge this morning to be greeted to a faint unpleasant smell. She was gaping, mantle retracted and un-responsive so I have taken her out so as not to pollute the tank. The foot attachment was very lose and the small rock she was attached to fell away as I took her out of the tank. RIP my beautiful clam.

Squatch XXL

RIP my beautiful clam.
I feel terrible for your loss, but I have learned more about clams from your situation than I would have known otherwise. I know that a clam is in my future in my larger tank....so long as the mantis plays nice....I never knew of things like pinched mantle, and the snails.

Not sound insensitive, but would you be able to use the shell for anything? I had begun using snail shells as rocks for frags.

DaveR11

Thanks, I've learned a lot too @Squatch XXL. Each time something goes wrong I (hopefully) know not to make that mistake again and learn what to look for next time....

I haven't chucked the clam. I'm going to re-use the shell.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Sorry to hear the bad news Dave :( Sometimes we just can't save them and you tried your hardest and I truly implore that to all reefers so you've done us proud mate :)

You've now had experience with two of the larger blights that clams can suffer and you're a better reefer for it too now. Don't let it scare you away from clams though, they are still one of the greatest inhabitnats a tank can have :D

DaveR11

Sorry to hear the bad news Dave :( Sometimes we just can't save them and you tried your hardest and I truly implore that to all reefers so you've done us proud mate :)

You've now had experience with two of the larger blights that clams can suffer and you're a better reefer for it too now. Don't let it scare you away from clams though, they are still one of the greatest inhabitnats a tank can have :D

Cheers Dom, I've learned a few things and at least know some of the things to look for when buying and looking after clams in the future. She was a beautiful resident in my tank and there is a gap in the tank but I may well get another.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Cheers Dom, I've learned a few things and at least know some of the things to look for when buying and looking after clams in the future. She was a beautiful resident in my tank and there is a gap in the tank but I may well get another.
You've definitely learnt lots, unfortunately it was the hard way but all your future clams are now better off because of it! :) I say clamS because no one ever just gets one ;) haha

DaveR11

You've definitely learnt lots, unfortunately it was the hard way but all your future clams are now better off because of it! :) I say clamS because no one ever just gets one ;) haha

One of my favourite LFSs just got some new clams and the pics look awesome, so we shall see. They are holding a coral beauty for me, which I know will be a risk for a clam. I'd been talking to @Oxylebius about getting a leopard wrasse to give me a bit of an insurance against future pyramid snails. I looked at a bunch of other wrasses but most of the recommended ones for pyramid snails would take out lots of other stuff I want to keep like my little acro crabs. I certainly do a lot of reading in this hobby...!

Oxylebius

Some wrasses are better then others at picking off unwanted pests. I'm actually not sure about the leopards and the pyramids snails. I do know that my leopard devoured the flatworms I had picked up from bringing in an un-dipped soft coral. And my leopard goes after all the pods in the tank and all the snail eggs that are laid.

I welcome others experiences with wrasses eating unwanted hitchhikers.

I'd also take @Wrangy 's advice to heart, as he has had much success with his clams.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
One of my favourite LFSs just got some new clams and the pics look awesome, so we shall see. They are holding a coral beauty for me, which I know will be a risk for a clam. I'd been talking to @Oxylebius about getting a leopard wrasse to give me a bit of an insurance against future pyramid snails. I looked at a bunch of other wrasses but most of the recommended ones for pyramid snails would take out lots of other stuff I want to keep like my little acro crabs. I certainly do a lot of reading in this hobby...!
It never takes long to want more clams! Imagine how I feel have access to 100% completely aquaculture clams that are the best you've ever seen but no money (or space) to get one :( haha You should have a look at AcroAl on Facebook if you have it!
Unfortunately with pest killing fish you will sometimes have to make a decision on which you go with, risk the acro crabs or work towards not getting any pyramid snails. It's up to you but if the new clams are healthy and have no pyramids then you shouldn't necessarily have to worry about getting a killer wrasse yet haha

Some wrasses are better then others at picking off unwanted pests. I'm actually not sure about the leopards and the pyramids snails. I do know that my leopard devoured the flatworms I had picked up from bringing in an un-dipped soft coral. And my leopard goes after all the pods in the tank and all the snail eggs that are laid.

I welcome others experiences with wrasses eating unwanted hitchhikers.

I'd also take @Wrangy 's advice to heart, as he has had much success with his clams.
I don't think I've heard of leopards going for pyramid snails either, I know sixline and eightlines both do but most of the others that do as well can be a little touchy on the "reef safe" side of things. That's awesome that they're flatworm hunters! From the way my little halichoeres act's I'd say she'd probably do the same.

Thank you for that compliment Sue :) I really do love my clams so I'm glad that others can see it and hopefully I continue having success with them too!

DaveR11

Just had a look for Acro Al on Facebook @Wrangy and he is culturing some amazing clams! You could easily end up with a house full of tanks!

I did some reading up on wrasses following on from an article @Oxylebius sent me. I think all of the wrasses mentioned would not fit in with other residents of my tank. I did read somewhere that leopards will take pyramid snails but I can't find that article now!

Thanks guys.