Phosban Reactor Good/Bad/UGLY

kyle1284

I am thinking about purchasing a 2 little fishies phosban reactor for my 50 gallon tank with nothing but cheato grape capulera(sp) in the 20 long sump, and LR in the display ... i am planning on keeping 5-7 small fish in the tank with a SPS dominating 80 percent of the tank, some lords, micros, zoos and a couple clams...the Phos are off the charts and im going to be doing a 30 gallon WC tonight to see if that knocks it down some... my questions are:

Is a better phosban reactor for the money?

what is the maint. like on the reactor?

do sps thrive in a absolute 0 phos environment?

what kind of corals can not live in 0 phos waters?

what are the pros/cons in your opinion about a phosban reactor?

what information based on your experience with a phosban reactor do you feel compelled to give me?

framerguy

I haven't used the two little fishies brand but I have used phosphate reactors. I was having a terrible time with phosphates and adding the reactor took care of the problem in short order. Cleaning up some bad habits helped a lot also. IMO if you are having trouble with excess nuisance algae due to phosphate and are not having success finding the cause, then adding a phosphate reactor is a good choice. Maintenance is minimal and they are pretty fool proof to operate. Check the brand of media you choose for information on how often to change it. The stuff is pricey, but it lasts quite a while. I have no idea if this has helped, but it's not a taboo thing to use a reactor. They do their job effectively. Some consider them a bandaid, but I think they have their place. I also think Two little fishies makes good products so their brand should give you good service.

brucewrs

I have two in line.One has phosban and the other carbon..Zero phos in the tank..Bad thing is my clean up crew really has a hard time finding food..

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I had a phosban reactor. It worked about 3 months, then for some reason it got sealed shut and I could not open it. Even with a big wrench. I have no idea why.

faust

go to bulk reef supply. their reactor is the bomb. the best built unit out there imo
IMG_1589.jpg

acemow

I have TLF 150 phosban reactor and haven't had any problems with phos. The company is easy to deal with on the phone when I've had questions. Maintenance on unit is simple. The phosban remover product I put in just needs to be rinsed in a filter sock or measuring cup with spout for ease in putting product into filter

rmlevasseur

I use a "poly reactor" for ferric oxide. I like it a little better than 2 fishies, but they are all pretty cheap. Faust is right that the bulk reef supply one is the best.

mps9506

My only tip is to start out with a small amount of phosban, rowa or whatever you are using. My corals and few other people definitely noticed some stress and receding in sps corals when we/they went all out and used the entire recommended amount. The rapid reduction in phosphates can have a an intial negative reactio in corals, just as any other rapid change. I can't say if it is a direct reaction to reduction in phosphate or indirect because of increased clarity, decrease in algae growth or something else. But just don't fill that sucker up to the top and plug it in right off the bat. :)