PH - Chase or Not

Uncle99

I have always followed reefers advice that PH should be in the range of 7.8-8.4, and, if your PH is in this range, your fine. "Don't chase PH" is what most say. Yup, over 20 months we have some growth.

Mine stays about 7.8 on its own, but, I read a lot of hobbists say that corals calcify faster at higher PH's like 8.2-8.4. I would be happy to chase PH is I get faster growth.

So, since my latest rebuild has been stable for about 20 months now with a PH of 7.8, I am going to experiment over the next 6 months by keeping my PH at least 8.2.

I am now pulling outside air into my skimmer in hopes that the oxygenated outside air will bring my PH up. We will try this first before other solutions. Our house is efficient, but I am afraid CO2 builds up and helps to depress PH.

Once I get the PH stable at least at 8.2, I will take some pics of the Stoneys and start the clock, in 6 months, new pictures and then compare this growth to the prior 20 months.

That's assuming I can actually get the PH upwards in the range. Hopefully some outside air in the mix will do it enough, I can easily get 8.4 by add chems, but this I am not a fan of.

I know Kalkwasser is a popular solution as well and I will try this if the first plan does not work.

If anyone has other ideas in raising and maintaining PH at 8.2-8.4, I would like to hear how you do this.

Squatch XXL

Kalk is simple for PH control. I use a heaping table spoon a week from the top off water. I am no where near the max amount that will absorb in water, but I don't add it for the minerals. I have great stony growth. I keep lots of poccilipora and some other various simple hard & lps. They grow like weeds. I don't think it would hurt to slowly add kalk to your system, but it is still a "chemical". You are changing the ph and adding. I use Mrs Wage's Pickling lime from the grocery store for DIY.

DaveK

Before you consider trying to change pH, also test your alkalinity and magnesium levels. There is a lot of chemistry behind all this, but briefly, pH and alkalinity are closely related. If you change one you effect the other. Magnesium is tested because if this is not high enough, it is very difficult to maintain both pH and alkalinity at ideal levels.

That's the 15 second, "all inclusive, in depth" answer. (grin) There is a lot more involved here. I suggest you read up on all this before you start messing with anything.

Lastly, if your corals are growing good, don't mess with success.

Uncle99

I have been monitoring the Alkalinity and Calcium consumption for a few months now, on average, my coral load consumes 3-4ppm per day, I can skip the dose on water change day. Mag holds tight with the weekly water change and 3ml dose in the middle of the week.

Pulling in outside air into the skimmer increased high PH of 7.8 to 8.1, so this can't hurt.

My wife agrees "don't touch" but I am so curious why all these so called experts on coral health and growth push DKH 9, Calcium 420, magnisum 1350, and a constant PH of 8.3.

I like the Kalkwasser idea, but concerned if my ATO fails.

I am going to try to add a bit more surface agitation to see if I can get to 8.2, and if so, I will stop there and take the before pics.

Reactions: SPR

DaveK

... but I am so curious why all these so called experts on coral health and growth push DKH 9, Calcium 420, magnisum 1350, and a constant PH of 8.3. ...

This kind of comes dow to which experts are you talking about. You see many tanks that don't have the measured water parameters "just right" and still look fantastic and get excellent coral growth.

Compared with lighting, filtration, and general care, the water parameters often come in below those. Obviously if your water parameters are way off, you have a serious problem, but in many cases the issue can be something else.

SPR

I had a stage when i thought i might mess around with pH and start trying to change it, primarily after i started monitoring via Apex and you can see the rises and falls throughout the day and night.

My average current pH is 7.88 and maximum 8.02 with a low of 7.78 throughout a 24 hour period.

So I thought to myself I must have it at 8.2 so what shall i do to get there. I read up on CO2 scrubbers, outside air and all sorts.

And then I thought whats the real difference between these figures, 2%,3%... Then you have test error.

So my conclusion to this was that my tank is thriving, a pH difference of this magnitude is irrelevant, so instead of messing with things. If it isn't broke don't try and fix it..... Or bad things may very well happen.

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Consistency is key, no need to fix it until it breaks.

I have been using Mrs Wage's Pickling lime since 2006 with excellent stability and results.

-Jeff

Uncle99

Thanks everyone for your input.
It seems Reality is more like 7.8 to 8.0, without additives, or reactors, and just by bringing in outside air and breaking the surface tension, I can just make a high of 8.1, so I guess I will have to be happy with that, I also carbon dose, I understand that will depress It as well....chase is over!

Thanks, Again....

Last edited: