Peter's Red Sea 130D

Peter O

Recently bought a used RSM 130D and, boy, do I have a lot of questions. I will start asking them once I get everyone up to speed on the equipment I have on-board and on order. I am new to saltwater, but did a lot of reading of forums and asked lots of questions at my LFS.

The 130D came the original two circulation pumps, one of which actually worked. Bought the RSM replacement pump and it seems to be working properly.

The original hood lights did not work, not sure what the issue was, but I bought replacement T5's and they still did not work. Additionally, the hood would not extend to a vertical position, so to make a long story short, I ditched the hood altogether and decided to go topless. I bought 2 Fluval 24" Marine LED's for lighting (one just didn't seem to do the trick).

The original protein skimmer was replaced with a Tunze 9002, however it doesn't seem to work at all. I have just today ordered a Tunze 9001, which will arrive on Monday.

There is a auto top-off system, which I have not got up and running yet, but will do so prior to installing the Tunze 9001.

The system also came with a Jebao RW-8 powerhead(?) pump. I got it working this morning and it is the reason there will not be any pics today. Turned it on and the water turned into a vanilla milkshake almost immediately.

System also has an In-Tank Media basket which is currently empty.

The tank has been cycled and up and running for about 6 weeks with good water tests. Started with about 30# of live rock, Caribe live sand and saltwater from my LFS. I will continue to utilize LFS water until I get an RO/DI system and set it up.

My current inventory of critters:
  • Pair of DaVinci Clowns
  • Fire Shrimp
  • 2 sand sifting snails (don't remember the name)
  • 6 hermit crabs
  • 10 snails
  • Green Polyp Duncan
  • Green toadstool mushroom (which I can seem to keep in place)
Questions:
  • Do you think my lighting is sufficient?
  • Should I be running some media in my media basket?
  • What should I do with the Jebao pump?
I am sure I will have more questions, but that is a good start.

Thanks in advance for taking the time!

Uncle99

Fo what you have now, the Fluval will work but I don't think they push enough par for LPS and deifinately not SPS.

I would think your looking for par between 80-350 which would need about 165W for each 24x24x24 cube.

If your going to keep the photosynthetics, light becomes as critical as water.

Peter O

Uncle 99, so it sounds that ultimately, I am looking at upgrading my lighting, I am okay with that. Confirms what I was thinking, unfortunately, I needed a quick solution and when that happens, it generally costs. But, also teaches.

Do you have any recommendations, for a 130D without a hood?

Peter O

One of my Fluval Marine lights decided it was time to stop using the white LED's. I took this as a sign as it was time to make a change. I was able to return the Fluval along with a couple of RS T5's I had purchased in an attempt to get the hood lights working for LSF credit. I used that credit and plus a few $$ and got a brand spanking new RS ReefLED 90. I am running it through my iPhone and have it on the Acclimation setting. So, that should sort my lighting issues. Since it is a brand new product, I am hoping RS is right and I can't do a lot of harm...we shall see.

Peter O

Ok, I have been online searching everywhere to find out as much as I can about the light...not much out there...fingers crossed.

Peter O

I finally received the bracket for the ReefLED. Installation of the light bracket required a slight modification to the hood bracket at the back of the tank, but since the hood is no longer there, I removed the bit between the fan and electrical panel.

b1f506b92619e1f6de7ee0f9e5834946.jpg

I have also rearranged the rock to afford more room for corals and whatnot.

b91f6d5c2717db40ef23edc9232f3911.jpg

Tank has been up and running for about 3 months. I know I should be testing for alkalinity, magnesium, phosphate, calcium and nitrates at this point, but need recommendations on test kits. Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk