Peppermint shrimp and corals?

snogost67

I have recently obtained a 29 gal Bio Cube and have set it up with live rock and a couple turbo snails. After I placed some new live rock I noticed Aiptasia Anenome's. I wanted to get Burghia nudi's but couldn't afford so I bought a Peppermint shrimp which ate my Kenya Tree and not the Aiptasia. So my question is 1.) how to get rid of Aiptasia naturally without losing soft corals? and 2.) is the Peppermint compatible with anything? I am wanting mostly corals and invertabrates in my tank for now. Thanx!

frisbee

How long has the tank been set up? If it's not too much trouble, you could just remove the rock and burn the aiptasia off with a cigarette lighter. This took me all of ten seconds to do one time.

snogost67

My dive shop was tired of taking care of it so i took it about a month ago. I'm not opposed to fire, it's worth a shot. I've noticed that one of them has moved onto the substrate so I gotta do something fast. Thanks for the idea.

StirCrayzy

You might not have a real peppermint, but they have been known to get a taste for softies.
Mine is the real deal, but attacked a hammer as soon as I added to the tank. Over time I found it was the dead tissue from shipping that triggered the response, because since the hammer has been healthy, I haven't seen any issues.

A true pep will look like this.

snogost67

Yep, that's him. Just got him 2 days ago and he's already molted. I plan on staying up tonight and keeping an eye on him to see what he does. My kenya tree was a freebie from my aquarium store but was thriving until Mr.Shrimp was introduced now it's just all shriveled up.

snogost67

Really? Maybe that's why they gave it to me. Any suggestions for good beginner corals that are gonna take over the tank?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi snogost67 :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:
I started out my coral collection with a small Frogspawn & a couple of different colors of Zoanthids.
Both did well. Some start with mushrooms but I never could get them to grow in my tank while I've seen posts that say they repopulate too fast & furious. So it will depend on your tank conditions.
If you have good light & water quality you'll most likely be OK choosing from LPS corals as most are hardier than SPS corals for beginners.
The peppermint shrimps are very close in resemblance to each other so you might indeed have a differnt type.
I had the guys at my LFS put a LR with an Aiptasia on it in with the peppermints they had & they attacked it right away. Might give that a try if they have any to show you with before you try buying another one.
You can also use Aiptastia-X to kill them. Best get rid of Aiptasia ASAP & before you get into buying more corals.
Glad you joined in at RS, Very BEST WISHES....:biker

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
ACANS are pretty also & seem to reproduce fairly fast
aeeb15e445fe18d525f645e32b4c5b01_zpsb8377cd9.jpg

This one started out with only 4 heads....I keep them near the sandbed in my tank ;)

snogost67

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I live in Northwestern Montana and only have 1 reputable Saltwater shop up here, 2 if you count Petco. I did get my peppermint from the prior and trust them. I will make sure to get rid of Aiptasia before spending money on the good stuff. I'm good with taking it slow, don't want to rush it and kill everything.