Penny Auction site for the reef

Pennyonthereef

RS Sponsor
Soon i will be opening a penny auction site that will have coral, fish, equipment and everything that you can noramlly find from the other sponsors here on reef sanctuary. I am actually working in cohesion with some of the other sponsors as i have no want but to increase their business.

This web site will be very similar to sites like beezid.com or swoopo.com but will have the things that hobbiest want at prices up to 99% off.

All shipping and handling will be paid for by me. If you win it at 25 cent you get it for 25 cent. No hidden fees.

I wanted to go ahead and start things rolling with the community here that i have been in touch with for several years.

What is it you would like to see avaliable when we first "open our doors"

Reply here or pm me anything you would like.

Thank you for your time!
Pennyonthereef.com

P.S. Upon the grand opening the first 50 members to purchase bid packs will recieve free bids!

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
So who posts the stuff forsale, am I correct to assume we have to pay you to bid?

How's this all work, I have never used the sites you mentioned above.

I guess I'll ask the obivous questions how much are bid packs, are there membership fees?

I need details :D

Pennyonthereef

RS Sponsor
No membership fees, and the bids to not expire as they do on other sites.
So the way it works

There will be two different kinds of bid systems on the site
1st is your standard, the one everyone is used to.
The timer is started and counts down. There is a reserve on every bid, otherwise the system will not work. If the reserve is not met, it resets to 5 mins untill the minimum is met.

Most of the time the minimum is going to be somewhere between 1-3 dollars.

Everytime someone bids the timer goes up by 10 seconds. All auctions will start at 0.01 usd. Each bid raises it by 0.01 usd.
Once the reserve is met and the timer runs out who ever had the last bid wins.

Now the 2nd kind of bid is called the max bid.
It has all the same characteristics as the 1st but 1 added.

Lets say its a very very hot item that quite a few are going for... It passes the minimum and just keeps going...

This is where the max part comes in. Each one will have a undisclosed max bid normally 2-3 dollars above the minimum. Who ever has bid more times through out that auction wins. This style is for those who don't want to sit there at the last second and be tense. This is the laid back style. Bid on it, wait till someone else bids, then throw yours down again. The top 5 people will be shown on the page for that item.

IE
Tom has : 25 bids
Jerry has : 15 bids
Sue has : 14 bids

the max bid is hit. Tom wins and doesn't even have to be pent up ready to smash the bid button to win!

Pennyonthereef

RS Sponsor
As to who is going to be "selling stuff"
It will be the people who choose what is on the site. They send me an email or pm saying "Man i would love to see some --- on the site" annddd thats it
I throw it on as long as its worth it. I won't be putting things on there that are 5 or 10 dollars. This is for people who want high end corals that go for 70 -500 dollars and only want to pay 2-12 dollars for them.

The bid packs will work like this (they are sea cents btw)
$25 - aka the bronze pack
50 sea cents
$50 - the silver pack
110 sea cents
$100 - the gold pack
225 sea cents

Pennyonthereef

RS Sponsor
i did think of sand dollars buttt i thought it would give the illusion you were bidding more than you really are. a cent is a cent ya know

BUTTT back to the point of this thread haha

If there is something you want to see, let me know After the web site is "open" i will not have any active auctions for the 1st week. This is to give people a chance to join, issue out the free bids, and so that when the bidding does start things are competative. The more people that are interested in any 1 item the cheaper that item is sold for.

and don't forget.... FREE SHIPPING AND HANDLING to the 48 continental states.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
This is for people who want high end corals that go for 70 -500 dollars and only want to pay 2-12 dollars for them.

Will be watching with interest & thanks for choosing to become a RS sponsor !

Pennyonthereef

RS Sponsor
I will be looking forward to this. I would like to see powerheads, and testing equipment. Shaun

If there is a size power head that you could be more specific with, and brand?
like a mp40 normally goes for 450 so i could get it out for somewhere around 10 dollars to the winner.

GlassMunky

If there is a size power head that you could be more specific with, and brand?
like a mp40 normally goes for 450 so i could get it out for somewhere around 10 dollars to the winner.

:drool: YES! :drool: I second the test kits also. are you going to have other equipment like lights and skimmers and stuff? This site sounds like its going to make a new tank build alot cheeper

Pennyonthereef

RS Sponsor
Like i said earlier... if you guys want it say it... my job is to facilitate, i want to increase revenue for the other sponsors on this site. Get equipment cheap to you guys. of course i have my own bills but if you guys don't get what you want then this would never work. If you say "I want to see this --- skimmer, made by ----" will do my best to get it out there.

varden

Why start it at a penny if there's a minimum sell price? Start it at the minimum that it'll sell for and let whoever's interested buy it without the games. And after you buy your bids, what happens to the money you've spent on bids if you lose an auction? Like Swoopo, will the bid price be $.60? Does that mean we're paying $.60 for every $.01 bid that we place in an auction?

Pennyonthereef

RS Sponsor
Why start it at a penny if there's a minimum sell price? Start it at the minimum that it'll sell for and let whoever's interested buy it without the games. And after you buy your bids, what happens to the money you've spent on bids if you lose an auction? Like Swoopo, will the bid price be $.60? Does that mean we're paying $.60 for every $.01 bid that we place in an auction?

Im not going to consider this bashing... but its pretty close.

If i start it at the minimum, lets say $1, that means i am out 100 bids.... that is how things get paid for. If i could truely just give 450 equip for 10 dollars heck yea i would... but that isn't how this system works.... After you buy your bids they are yours, they have no expiration. The bid price for us is roughly 47 cent on average between the 3 different bid packs. Yes you pay per bid, and if you don't win... then thats it. This is a gamble of sorts. Play with very small amounts of money with the potential to win high dollar products.

On a side note... if you arn't interested then don't participate.

Val

Im not going to consider this bashing... but its pretty close.

If i start it at the minimum, lets say $1, that means i am out 100 bids.... that is how things get paid for. If i could truely just give 450 equip for 10 dollars heck yea i would... but that isn't how this system works.... After you buy your bids they are yours, they have no expiration. The bid price for us is roughly 47 cent on average between the 3 different bid packs. Yes you pay per bid, and if you don't win... then thats it. This is a gamble of sorts. Play with very small amounts of money with the potential to win high dollar products.

On a side note... if you arn't interested then don't participate.

Yes you pay per bid, and if you don't win... then thats it. This is a gamble of sorts. Play with very small amounts of money with the potential to win high dollar products.

This is actually more like raffles instead of auctions?

Pennyonthereef

RS Sponsor
i wouldn't say so much a raffle, its more of the merger between the two. In the sense you pay for a bid... raffle, but in the sense that there is an end price... auction. I call it a penny auction as this is a common term that is already in place.

Point is, you can call it what ever you want. A rose by any other name....

Ok i check with my partners and i can get the mp40 out to who ever wins for somewhere around 10 dollars at the minimum. If it goes higher than that... realistically it shouldn't go more than 15 on a good day.... and i think that is the goal here... right?

Is there a system you guys would like to see sold? Like.... a rsm250 or a jbj or elos?

what ever it is.

JandR

RSM250 would be nice lol...

So when do you think your grand opening may be? few weeks, few months?