Pearl Harbor Day

Paul B

Lets remember that 75 years ago today Pearl Harbor was attacked bringing the US into the war with Japan. Thousands of lives were lost on that day of Infamy

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
pearl-harbor-3.jpg

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'm with you on that! I was there for the 50th year anniversary, such an interesting place to visit.

Oxylebius

I watched a live dive on two Japanese mini submarines earlier this week. The first sub was sunk by the USS Ward prior to the attack. This was the first time the public was able to view live underwater exploration of the submarines in real time. The video of the dive is below. It is interesting.

The sunken submarine sits at the bottom of Pearl Harbor in Hawaii, filled with silt and pierced by a 4-inch American round. Two Japanese sailors are still inside. The public has never seen it.

Until now, only a handful of explorers and scientists have seen these relics of the war in the deep sea, but thanks to technology, anyone and everyone can now explore the submarines that represent the beginning of the war in the Pacific, through the video.

NOAA explains that, on the morning of Dec. 7, 1941, U.S. naval vessels and aircraft on patrol outside Pearl Harbor saw a partially submerged submarine attempting to enter the harbor, but alerts were not immediately sent out. Some 90 minutes before Pearl Harbor was bombed by Japanese aircraft the USS Ward fired on the mini sub and sank it, marking the first U.S. shots fired in World War II.

The second submarine disappeared on the morning of Dec. 7, 1941, but was discovered in shallow waters in 1951 and raised by the U.S. Navy. The sub was then taken out to sea and dumped in deeper water, before its rediscovery by the University of Hawai’i’s Undersea Research Laboratory in 1992. The last time the wreck was visited by the university’s submersibles was in 2013.

It is an interesting bit of history.

http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/news/nov16/noaa-to-dive-on-japanese-mini-subs-near-pearl-harbor.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...atch-live-dive-sunken-japanese-subs/95079660/

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016...-to-japanese-mini-subs-near-pearl-harbor.html

cracker

I visited Hank today, He looked fragile at 90 something years old. His body is wearing but his mind is clear.
I Asked him where he was and what did he do on Pearl Day . He told me he was on the family farm in Kentucky.The next day ,he and his younger brother lined up at the county court house to enlist. There was a long line. He was was just old enough, his brother had to wait a year. He joined the Navy CB's and went thru months of training as a machinist. Later he was in a bar in Maine and he ran into a guy who had interesting insignia on his uniform. They were Dolphins. By the end of the night the 2 were friends. I wonder how many drinks. He decided he wanted to be a submariner.img001.jpg img001.jpg img001.jpg
Lieutenant Commander retired. Otis Morgan

Paul B

I love that guy. :celebrate:
People like that should be revered, instead, many times, they are forgotten

Oxylebius

@cracker thank you for sharing his story with us

@Paul B My grandfather served in WWI and WWII, but I don't know anything about it. One of those forgotten and now lost stories.

Paul B

My Wife's Dad was wounded in the Pacific during WW2 and spent a year in the hospital in Hawaii.

Witfull

grew up in Aiea, Hawaii overlooking Pearl and the Memorial. from our lanai you could see the Arizona underwater.

Hi Paul. good to see a few familiar faces still here

Paul B

High Witful. I have been to Hawaii twice. surprise I didn't see you there.
I also went to the Arizona. It is a shame all Americans can't experience it