Peacock Mantis

DoubleB

Hello, I have just bought a 2.5 in peacock mantis, is doing very well in the tank I set up specifically for him. Eating well, building and rearranging his hole constantly. My question is, will his colors come out as he gets older, because now he is relativley dull, I can see markings and colors but not vibrant like pics and vids I have seen. thanks for any info

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Would love to see him ! We have a RS sub-forum dedicated to them !

Snelly40

definately need a video of it eating... i love me some mantis shrimp... always tossed around the idea of a second acrylic tank to house one...
unfortunately some are just more dull than others and males are typically duller than females..
"Physical Description
Peacock mantis shrimp are crustaceans, most closely resembling lobsters. They are very brightly colored, with a base body color of olive or green, brightly covered orange antennae scales, red raptorial appendages (used to smash prey), red setae on their uropods, and leopard like spots covering the lateral sides of the lower carapace. Their compound eyes are blue in color. Body coloration is sexually dimorphic, with males being being more brightly colored. The carapace is slightly raised, covering only the lower half of the head, leaving the portion with the eyes exposed. These mantis shrimp average 3-18 cm in length. They have long, narrow bodies, and in addition to their raptorial appendages, a pair of maxillopods, three pairs of legs used for holding prey, three pairs of walking legs, and five pairs of swimmerets, before the body terminates in the telson and paired uropods. ("Odontodactylus scyllarus", 2012; Baxamusa, 2010; Brauchli, 2008; Caldwell, 2006)"

DoubleB

I've been told that a mantis eyes are super sensitive and can't take bright light. So I put tape over most of my led strip? Is this wise, or even necessary?