Patrick's RSM C-250 : Part III

Pat24601

Easy to maintain and you won't have to worry about alk, calc, and mag levels like you would on a mixed reef or SPS tank... Of course all of my tanks end up as mixed reef anyhow :)

That's probably what will happen to me no matter what I plan. We will see. :)

Reactions: SPR

Pat24601

I had an interesting experience on my rescape. My 4 year old twin boys were really excited to help me do it. We built a scape on the floor and then they helped by bringing me rocks to put in the tank. Unfortunately, the rocks they brought me were pretty random and may or may not have been the ones we planned.

Regardless, the scape actually doesn't look bad, but looks terrible in pictures. Basically, it's some caves with a background of wall of rock, but the forced perspective just makes it look like a pile of rocks.

I'm not sure if I'll rescape it. I kind of like that the kids helped do it, but clearly it could look better...especially on photo.

I think I will take some rocks out. They were having fun and I used a lot more than I intended.

IMG_0326.JPG

Pat24601

I like it mister! I have been around, work is killing me. A lot of room for stuff I see. My daughter enjoys cleaning the glass and hand feeding the foxface.

Cheers buddy
sully

That’s awesome! I mean that your daughter is a big part of it. That’s what I’m after.

Too bad about work killing ya. :(. Times seem to be tough for a lot of us.

Pat24601

Welcome back to SW Pat!

Loving the aquascape and that butterfly is absolutely stunning. What other's are you thinking of keeping?

Thanks, Melvis. Great to hear from you!

I have an Auriga butterfly, raccoon butterfly, and flame hawk. I want to add a flame angel. After that, I’m not sure, but I’ll consider that stable for now.

How have things been?

melvis

Great choice, such a stunning fish.

Have you kept the old mix of LEDs or changed the variation this time over?

Generally Pat, all good thanks. As for the tank - let's just say I'm close to being where you are now! lol. Just updated my thread with more info.

Pat24601

I have mixed feelings about this decision, but I was talked into a raccoon butterfly by someone whose advice I value a lot to go along with my Auriga.

At the time I really liked the idea because I love butterfly fish, but now I’m wondering if they are too similar. A little worried about aggression. We will see.

Regardless, it’s a very pretty fish and I think it was a good idea? I guess we will see. I can’t seem to get a good picture of it, but here it is.

F938F389-00A1-46B8-9B06-8F0F2BC772DD.jpeg

Pat24601

The Auriga is definitely chasing the raccoon, especially at feeding time, which is not what I was hoping to see at all. But, the raccoon appears to be getting plenty to eat. I hope they work it out. They are both very cool fish.

Pat24601

So, I was thinking about this restart and I’ve really had a tough go at it considered I had virtually no problems for 3 years with my other tank.

1) After cycling, I noticed my original live rock had aiptasia and bryopsis. So, I took it all out, including my sand, and cleaned my whole tank out.

2) I started over with purple reef, real reef, and CaribSea shapes. All seemed to go well.

3) I spent weeks trying to find a good butterfly as the centerpiece of my tank. My high quality LFS just wasn’t getting any in so I get other fish to start my tank and figure I’ll add a butterfly later.

4) I gave up on my main LFS getting in a butterfly I like and shop around other stores. I see a butterfly I like from a fish store with much less expertise in salt. I buy it anyway, but don’t QT.

5) I see white spots that I at first assume are lymph (because butterfly’s frequently have lymph), but the white spots spread to most of my other fish and only my flamehawk survives (after I put him in a QT nano).

6) I leave tank fallow for 6 weeks. I’m assuming it was Ich and not lymph and treat it as such, but truly to this day I’m not quite sure. Some aspects of it don’t seem like Ich.

7) 6 weeks later, my good LFS finally has a good looking Auriga so I start my tank with it. It does well on its on and I think I’m set.

8) My LFS reccomends I add a Raccoon which is eating flakes. I do that, but a lot of aggression from the Auriga. So, all the sudden not so good.

9) On advice of my LFS, I take Auriga out and swap with a less aggressive Auriga they had (ironically one the first Auriga was chasing when I originally bought the first one).

That’s where we stand today.

A lot of drama to get going again, but for some reason I don’t mind at all. Maybe because I know I’m pushing some limits I wouldn’t have pushed before so I expect some problems. Maybe because I’m just more used to what can happen in the hobby.

I just thought it was funny when I started to think about it about how much I’ve been through on this restart.

Last edited: