Particles stirring around tank.

I'm having a problem with small particles getting stirred around the tank. (not air bubbles) Did anyone else experience this with their Max 250? My sand grade is 0.5mm-1.7mm, is that too fine? The tank has been running for 22 days and nothing has changed. Lots of white particles throughout the tank. I even aimed my powerhead further up to make sure I was stirring the sand. Any ideas?

Conway Corals

RS Sponsor
If you can manage some type of filter sock, that would be a good way to polish your water a bit.

How deep is your sandbed? If it is pretty shallow you might try vacuuming out some of the finer sand next water change as well.

I was given some live bacteria to help cycle my tank. I can see tons of them on my glass, could this be the particles that are getting blown around? Will the bacteria move off the glass to the sand?

The sandbed is about an inch deep. I've tried using the filter floss and that hasn't made a difference.

Conway Corals

RS Sponsor
Sounds like your tank is pretty new, so there may be all kinds of stuff floating around. Give it a couple weeks to level out.

IME if you can cycle with the lights off, you end up with a much stronger bacterial population.

Does anyone else seem to have problems with the 2400 lph circulation pump being so strong it makes a jet stream and stirs up the sand? I've tried aiming it in different positions without much luck.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Don't b afraid to ripple the top of the water! I also agree just let the tank run for awhile. Patience in this hobby is mandatory.

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
In new tanks, for a couple of weeks in a row, rinsing the fine filter a couple of time a day is a good idea - hope this helps.

mtk

I still have this problem after 6 month's. It did get better over time but it is not gone. I added Seaflor special grade over my super fine marco sand and that helped alot. I am debating on starting to siphon some of it out during water changes.

After really looking at the particles good I feel that it's not the sand, more junk than anything. I had added some nice figi rock to the tank about a week ago that had lots of different things growing on it from the ocean. Maybe some of the stuff is dying off or coming off the rock? Looks like milky white skin particles in the tank. I'm just gonna be patient and let the tank settle in.

GregT

Where are your nozzles aimed at? Surface agitation is preferred imo.
I have a mix of fine and coaser grade and the fine stuff in my tank does move and settles where it wants - and stays there.
Do you use a turkey baster to blow the particles off your rockwork? This'll help removal it when it's in the water column along with frequent cleaning of your sponges.
If you've removed these you could add them again and see if this makes a difference?

Cheers
Greg

I still seem to be getting a good amount of debris stirring in my tank. The skimmer is working good and picking up nasty stuff and my water test are good. Would adding a power head that spreads out the flow help blast these debris to the top of the water and get skimmed out? Most of it just seems to float mid tank never making it to the top. I've even tried to adjust the stock power heads without much change? Most the debris seems to be coming from my live rock or stuff that has settled on top of it.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Brother I think time will be your ally. Being patient should reap its rewards.

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

Sy101

Hi,
Did you ever manage to stop the floating particles? I have the same thing, a combo of White particles and a few micro-bubbles.
I think the extra power just makes them worse but as the particles don't get sucked into the overflow they never get filtered out!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sy - a couple thoughts... if they are particles & not microbubbles (if these pull & clean pumps - should solve) do you have any sand sifting fish, have seen lots post where they keep the tank stirred or might check your sand size check sizes here... I like a small grain size 1.0 Special Grade has always worked well in my tanks, too small can suspend - hope this helps

CaribSea Arag-Alive | Special Grade Reef Sand | Indo Pacific Black | Fiji Pink | Bahamas Oolite | West Caribbean Reef | Florida Crushed Coral | Bimini Pink

Sy101

Thanks Glen

I'm gonna give the sump and pumps a good clean over the weekend
I have the west caribbean reef sand. No starfish but I do have snails and hermit crabs kicking up a small amount of sand.

I'll see if it settles Down after a good clean up

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You are very welcome !

I have ... one or twice... had to pull a pump, clean & replace , like 3 times in 15 mins, to get it to quit microbubbles, big key for me was the impeller & it inside housing, I use q tip... but I have always solved it

your cuc not kicking it up & that sand should be fine - hope you get it sorted...

here one more thought & read below ... do you doses calcium? like Kalkwasser

Kalkwasser in the Aquarium - Algone.com