Pancho75

Finally I had the chance to take a couple of pics of the new arrivals, except for the mandarin, who is always in the shadows.

Coral Beauty Angel
b9ff60e8280449d14b100e962860b5cc.jpg

Acro
4138b604fa5ff79dd210d831b04a9af3.jpg

I have noted too many vermetid snails in the tank, their webs do not look ok for me so I ordered a Hoeven’s Wrasse or Sea Grass Wrasse (whichever comes first) to take them out.

Saturday will be busy I wanted to do a water change and assemble the aquarium net cover but my wife already made arrangements for lunch so I guess the net cover will have to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

I also have loads of Vermetid Snails and I don't think my current crop of Wrasse are doing anything about them ! I do like the look of the two you mentioned, especially the Green Sea Grass Wrasse!

Pancho75

I also have loads of Vermetid Snails and I don't think my current crop of Wrasse are doing anything about them ! I do like the look of the two you mentioned, especially the Green Sea Grass Wrasse!
I made good research about this and turns out not all wrasses eat vermetid snails.

The recommendations are towards Green Sea Grass and Hoeven’s (Melanurus) wrasses. Also found mentions about Yellow Coris and Six Lines wrasses but with lower effectiveness.

Honestly both Hoeven’s and Sea Grass wrasse look good so perhaps I may end buying both or maybe one of them and a Six Lines. Currently I have no wrasses in my tank but I think they will be nice addition.

TGIF!

Pancho75

Really? I have high expectations of the Melanurus Wrasse! I may need to also the Sea Grass Wrasse.

Well, today was a cleaning a day. I decided to remove my chaeto algae from the sump to try bring up the PO4 and NH3 to fight the dinos....

Here is how the tank looks now.
7abd78a49a868665dc44d06c87c38943.jpg

@SPR I decided to put in white vinegar the grills and the return pump nozzle... the grills are now in the right position. LOL.
049d0419397692c3f57bb92a13080f34.jpg

The guy from the LFS told me he received aussie frags, I guess is shopping time for me. [emoji2]

SPR

Really? I have high expectations of the Melanurus Wrasse! I may need to also the Sea Grass Wrasse.

Well, today was a cleaning a day. I decided to remove my chaeto algae from the sump to try bring up the PO4 and NH3 to fight the dinos....

@SPR I decided to put in white vinegar the grills and the return pump nozzle... the grills are now in the right position. LOL.

The guy from the LFS told me he received aussie frags, I guess is shopping time for me. [emoji2]

Now how much better do they look lol!!

I’ve actually got a spare set and swap them around when I remember and leave them to soak in citric acid (same principle as vinager but i can make a stronger solution) for a week and they come up like new. I also do the same ‘week’ treatment with the main return pump and again it’s like new. I have a spare pump and just alternate them every 4 months or so.

There is a product called Dino X you might want to look at. I purchased a bottle to use but in my case the lights out and increased flow worked so I never used it. I found the increase in water flow stopped them coming back but I suppose systems are different.

Pat24601

I love the way you’ve arranged the colors! It really makes your tank pop!

Pancho75

Warm weather is here! 30 C and climbing everyday... also Murphy’s Law is here so when I switched on the chiller and.... it failed, uh!

Fortunately I bought it from my friend in the LFS and he took it for repair at no cost, I hope it will come back soon as the tank is the sump doors open and a fan.

Pat24601

Warm weather is here! 30 C and climbing everyday... also Murphy’s Law is here so when I switched on the chiller and.... it failed, uh!

Fortunately I bought it from my friend in the LFS and he took it for repair at no cost, I hope it will come back soon as the tank is the sump doors open and a fan.

Ouch. Yeah, I hope you get it back soon.

Pancho75

Today is Good Thursday, I had the opportunity to complete the DIY Red Sea Net Cover, so I will not be concern to add any “jumpers” to the tank.

72a4efa2d3a7a2f1837dafef341ac959.jpg

Today I drove to LFS to check the aussie corals and surely I bought a Gold Wall Hammer coral, I wanted to add a wall hammer since I started the tank and since I was there already I took another acan frag a meteor shower monti (what is the name of that???.. lol) and 20 turbo snails.

I decided to ban all hermits to the sump to avoid them killing the snails, they are merciless!

821847a6250a35c51a69dc80df6a4d72.jpg

5b7ad1f054538f74809c9417ad6d3774.jpg

a6454adbba1bf31ff3f7ba03d2895434.jpg

Finally the Mandarin decided to say hello!

Attachments

• IMG_0563.JPG
    IMG_0563.JPG
    468.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Pancho75

I am preparing to leave Mexico, the agreement with the LFS is made to visit my aquarium 3 times per week, test the water, add chemicals and water, do the husbandry, etc. I really hate to leave the tank behind but with this agreement at least I will see it one week per month.

Also I am installing a cam to watch the aquarium on my phone, resolution is not great so I may buy another one or better the IceCap REEF-Cam.

This is how the tank looks on the cam:

In the other hand the gold hammer is opening nicely so things are doing ok.
2fb62508785e292a3745ed7f6630eb87.jpg

Pancho75

Got to install UV filter to finish off the dinos, any recommendations?

SPR

I’m glad to see you’ve got your tank sorted out while your away. From what you’ve said will you be flying back every month for a week?

I have used the JBL UVC (36w) and currently the DD UVC (20w) but it will depend on what you have in Mexico. The JBL was huge but more powerful. The DD is smaller but less powerful but much more user friendly.

They tend to be quiet ‘big’ but I would get the biggest W you can fit into your system and then read up on flow rates (72000 microwatts/sec for ich for example) otherwise it won’t be effective.

The cameras are a good idea as you can see what’s happening. I also leave the sump doors open so I can see down there as well. I can switch the sump lights on with Apex if needed.

emvanburen

Pancho - looks great! Too bad you will have to leave it! How did you get those circulation grills off? I can’t imagine getting my arm fat enough down the back to get them out. Barely could get the center pumps out. Many thanks.

Pancho75

I’m glad to see you’ve got your tank sorted out while your away. From what you’ve said will you be flying back every month for a week?

I have used the JBL UVC (36w) and currently the DD UVC (20w) but it will depend on what you have in Mexico. The JBL was huge but more powerful. The DD is smaller but less powerful but much more user friendly.

They tend to be quiet ‘big’ but I would get the biggest W you can fit into your system and then read up on flow rates (72000 microwatts/sec for ich for example) otherwise it won’t be effective.

The cameras are a good idea as you can see what’s happening. I also leave the sump doors open so I can see down there as well. I can switch the sump lights on with Apex if needed.
Thank you Shaun, I am now digging into the options available on this side of the Atlantic, definetely not the ones you mentioned. I can find here Tetra, Jebao and Biopro. I found a Jeabao of 50 cm long with 55W, still have to figure it out its flow rates.

Yes, I will be coming back to Mexico once a month as I am taking a continental role and Mexico is under my scope at least I will be able to enjoy the tank (and the food!) during that week. Apex is part of the plan but not the must present need at this moment maybe in 4 - 5 months. I am definitely looking to integrate the UV filter and the Reef Cam perhaps linked to a TV screen in my house 24 hrs I could by seen the tank interior remotely during several hours!

Pancho75

Pancho - looks great! Too bad you will have to leave it! How did you get those circulation grills off? I can’t imagine getting my arm fat enough down the back to get them out. Barely could get the center pumps out. Many thanks.

Thank you emvanburen, I can tell you those grills didn’t come out easy! I spent about an hour trying to take them out while my clowns were bitting me (they can be really nasty!).