Pancho75

Unfortunately the re-introduction of my clown fishes was not completely good. The male has gone loss for two days, it means he is gone. The nitrites are super high it means something is dead...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPR

Unfortunately the re-introduction of my clown fishes was not completely good. The male has gone loss for two days, it means he is gone. The nitrites are super high it means something is dead...

Sorry to hear that Pancho, Nitrites ?

Have you got full clean up crew as I would have thought they would get anything that’s dead before you would have an issue. And that’s a big water volume for a little fish to affect it ?

Nobbygas

Sorry to hear that Pancho, Nitrites ?

Have you got full clean up crew as I would have thought they would get anything that’s dead before you would have an issue. And that’s a big water volume for a little fish to affect it ?
If you have Nitrite, then at some stage you had an Ammonia spike. This could have accounted for the Clown.

Nobbygas

In 500 litres ?

I have never tested after a fatality so don't know, but there doesn't seem that much 'juice' in a little fish.
No, you've misread me. I'm saying that 'something' caused the Ammonia/Nitrite spike, and it was that that maybe killed the Clown. The dead Clown will not cause anything to affect the 500 litres.
Any changes made Pancho?

Pancho75

No, you've misread me. I'm saying that 'something' caused the Ammonia/Nitrite spike, and it was that that maybe killed the Clown. The dead Clown will not cause anything to affect the 500 litres.
Any changes made Pancho?
Unfortunately I know where the nitrite spike came, it is the Coral Beauty that I could not retrieve when he passed, the male Clown went down also from the bullying both fishes dying in consecutive weeks made this to the water.

I have been giving a big thought to my CUC, I removed the hermits because they killed snails and I have to replace them every 3 months but whenever there was a dead fish I never had a nitrite spike and I am thinking it is because the hermits went like a mad horde of Huns and ate the dead fish. I will add the hermits back.

SPR

Unfortunately I know where the nitrite spike came, it is the Coral Beauty that I could not retrieve when he passed, the male Clown went down also from the bullying both fishes dying in consecutive weeks made this to the water.

I have been giving a big thought to my CUC, I removed the hermits because they killed snails and I have to replace them every 3 months but whenever there was a dead fish I never had a nitrite spike and I am thinking it is because the hermits went like a mad horde of Huns and ate the dead fish. I will add the hermits back.

Oh I understand what you mean now @Nobbygas

They do Pancho, the first sight and or smell of something dead or dying and they indeed go at it like a ‘mad horde of huns! ‘!! Lol

It’s quite grotesque to see them doing there work and they are extremely efficient. That’s why I have them and I’m sure they breed somewhere because I also have little ones. They will go through a small fish in no time.

The last one I saw was a wrasse and they were going through it and my lobster was fighting and trying to drag the rest from them into his cave to devour! Very unsociable!

Personally although I still have snails I won’t add anymore as I found tuxedo urchins much more effective, but hermit crabs are a must for possible clean up operations.

Pancho75

Oh I understand what you mean now @Nobbygas

They do Pancho, the first sight and or smell of something dead or dying and they indeed go at it like a ‘mad horde of huns! ‘!! Lol

It’s quite grotesque to see them doing there work and they are extremely efficient. That’s why I have them and I’m sure they breed somewhere because I also have little ones. They will go through a small fish in no time.

The last one I saw was a wrasse and they were going through it and my lobster was fighting and trying to drag the rest from them into his cave to devour! Very unsociable!

Personally although I still have snails I won’t add anymore as I found tuxedo urchins much more effective, but hermit crabs are a must for possible clean up operations.
Very unsociable? LOL ! ! !

Pancho75

100L water change and the nitrates are going down, still high but trending in the right direction, no signs of stress in either the corals or the fish. As the days have gone by I am more and more convinced the female clown turned on the male, as they swam apart of each other.

Now I am starting to think I may change my aquascaping next month to generate more area for corals.

Reactions: SPR

Pancho75

Yesterday FTS, look at the fat pig (fox face) going into the Eheim Feeding Station LOL ! ! he bullies out any fish trying to get into the stations as he does... these guys are not good at sharing.
6b7a2ba02d5cbbc9226a9bdef8436deb.jpg

Nobbygas

I love the bright green Caulerpa (?). As the lights go down at night it just stands out ! What is the Orange stuff in the middle at the top?

It's looking marvellous Pancho !

Pancho75

I love the bright green Caulerpa (?). As the lights go down at night it just stands out ! What is the Orange stuff in the middle at the top?

It's looking marvellous Pancho !
Thank you my friend !

The green coral in the middle is a big Chili Pepper Montipora overtaking the central rock, it really took off when I added a little green and red to my lights spectrum.

The orange coral in the top is a Setosa Montipora, in fact there are two of them. It was the first SPS I tried in my nano when I changed from FOWLR to reef 4 years ago, I am very happy with it as it has grown more than 20 times its original size.