Pancho75

Thank you John, I am really sad, the plumber who was hired to fix a leak in the house pump pipe yesterday did not finish the job due to lack of spares and to “avoid” wasting water switched off the hole house (he did not know about my tank inside).

I lost:
- Flame angel
- Two pygmy angels
- Yellow tang
- Blue tang
- Fox Face
- Mandarin goby
- Coris wrasse
- Six lines wrasse
- Firefish
- Female clownfish
- Chromis

The Melanarus and the male clownfish are alive but in very poor conditions both were taken to the LFS to see if they can make it. Also my hammers (wall and branch), frogspawn and torch are looking very bad. [emoji24]

The only fish who is in ok condition is my Diamond goby.

I will think for a couple of days before deciding what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chickenjohn

I know how you feel mate, about 15 years ago I lost my entire tank after introducing a diseased fish, I thought they was bullet proof so didn't qt it, within a week everything was dead, never felt so gutted, later found out it was velvet what killed them all.
My heart goes out to you man, and I hope you carry on with the hobby, I did and im glad I did.
Keep us informed.

Pancho75

I know how you feel mate, about 15 years ago I lost my entire tank after introducing a diseased fish, I thought they was bullet proof so didn't qt it, within a week everything was dead, never felt so gutted, later found out it was velvet what killed them all.
My heart goes out to you man, and I hope you carry on with the hobby, I did and im glad I did.
Keep us informed.
Wow Pancho, I’m really really sorry my friend.

I actually don’t know what to say. We’ve followed each other from the very start of this adventure and then something like this happens.......
Pancho - Oh no. I really feel for you.
How long was the power off for? It was only a few weeks ago we were talking about Battery Backup devices.

Thank you all, I do appreciate it. This is punch in the guts for me but been in this community helps a lot. Some of the fish had 3 years in my tank, I never experienced something like this in my 10 years of reefing. I estimate the tank stayed more than 10 hours without power. I am really unhappy but the true blame is only on me. I should have prevented this. [emoji37]

At least one good news, the Melanarus and the male Clownfish recovered in the LFS and will return to my tank hopefully before the end of this week.

My torch, hammers and frogspawn are not looking good, I hope the can recover, I’ll keep an eye on them. In the meantime I cancelled a couple of acros that were about to be shipped to avoid putting more life stock at risk.

Definitely I am not a quitter, it feels bad but I won’t give up but I will not put more fish at risk. I already ordered an Apex and will try to set it up at the end of the month when I go home.

chickenjohn

Good news about the other 2 fish mate, glad to hear your not giving up.
@SPR as you know ive been thinking about apex but really decided against it so would an apex have helped in this situation? if so then will definitely put it on my list.

SPR

Good news about the other 2 fish mate, glad to hear your not giving up.
@SPR as you know ive been thinking about apex but really decided against it so would an apex have helped in this situation? if so then will definitely put it on my list.
If the power goes down Apex will send an alert to your phone or whatever you choose, it’s called Heartbeat and is one of the functions within Apex Fusion

It won’t put the power back on for you but it will tell you and then you can do something about it.

Nobbygas

Don't give up Pancho. I had a wipe-out of my fish in the early days, but you learn from it, dust yourself down, start again, and you work to ensure it won't happen again. Chin up mate.

It is always a good thing to learn from the experience of others, so I think we should resurrect the Battery Backup discussion. It seems as though the two most vital components to keep running are the return pump and the heating/cooling/chiller? Anything else like Reactors are not vital in my opinion.
Any thoughts anyone?

chickenjohn

Agree with Nobby, the most important thing is water movement to give oxygen so I would say the most important thing is powerheads first to provide oxygen. Temperature is important but I don't think ten hours would have made much difference to the temp and fish do have a lot of tolerance with temps, but they all need oxygen to live.

SPR

I’m in advanced planning for ‘something’ and part of that will be a secondary ecotech Vectra L2 pump and MP60’s. The Vectra will be for redundancy but it will all be connected to the ecotech battery backup systems, one for each piece of equipment. That will provide 30+ hours of backup for all circulation and return systems (the ecotech ones) automatically in the event of power failure

It’s also fully controlled and monitored by Apex with the WXM module which is all integrated into Apex instead of reef link.

Nobbygas

I’m in advanced planning for ‘something’ and part of that will be a secondary ecotech Vectra L2 pump and MP60’s. The Vectra will be for redundancy but it will all be connected to the ecotech battery backup systems, one for each piece of equipment. That will provide 30+ hours of backup for all circulation and return systems (the ecotech ones) automatically in the event of power failure

It’s also fully controlled and monitored by Apex with the WXM module which is all integrated into Apex instead of reef link.
Get back on your thread and give us a complete update! You are obviously planning....and thinking....and planning....A Vectra L2 for redundancy? You are going for an Abyzz then as the main return pump! We also expect a personal detailed posting of your visit to David Saxby's for tea, biscuits, and to bump heads over aquarium design, before it goes out to the media via YouTube.

Pancho75

Yes the Apex would have prevented the crash by letting me know, it sucks but lesson learnt.

Normally for a power failure a back up for the main pump is all you need. It means 3 - 4 hours. For a longer period of time the heaters/chiller start to play a role, I believe at that point only a diesel/gas generator would have to be the answer to keep all the life support systems and it would be cheaper than many Ecotech’s battery back up.

A power down notification would give me enough time to take action and save the tank. Now I noticed I should have bought an additional Power Bar.... facepalm

SPR

Yes the Apex would have prevented the crash by letting me know, it sucks but lesson learnt.

Normally for a power failure a back up for the main pump is all you need. It means 3 - 4 hours. For a longer period of time the heaters/chiller start to play a role, I believe at that point only a diesel/gas generator would have to be the answer to keep all the life support systems and it would be cheaper than many Ecotech’s battery back up.

A power down notification would give me enough time to take action and save the tank. Now I noticed I should have bought an additional Power Bar.... facepalm

The ecotech battery backups won’t be any good for heaters etc. Even if you could connect them they would drain it to quickly, there intended to keep circulation moving etc. Certainly in the UK and in my house, temperature shouldn’t be an issue for a short period really but I understand Frankfurt, US etc it might be

Last edited:

SPR

Get back on your thread and give us a complete update! You are obviously planning....and thinking....and planning....A Vectra L2 for redundancy? You are going for an Abyzz then as the main return pump! We also expect a personal detailed posting of your visit to David Saxby's for tea, biscuits, and to bump heads over aquarium design, before it goes out to the media via YouTube.
Lol!!

Edit Sorry Pancho meant to post on my thread!

Last edited:

Pancho75

Two more losses, a couple of acros in the rack went completely white overnight, I will keep them there to see if they can bounce back. One of my stylophora also started to bleach but I think it should be fine. My nem seems to be improving though is still looking sad.

I also ordered the additional energy bar for the Apex. Life has to go on.

SPR

Two more losses, a couple of acros in the rack went completely white overnight, I will keep them there to see if they can bounce back. One of my stylophora also started to bleach but I think it should be fine. My nem seems to be improving though is still looking sad.

I also ordered the additional energy bar for the Apex. Life has to go on.

Have you had to change the water or anything or are the parameters all stable?

I’m assuming your back home now ?