Nobbygas

The NYOS Viper 3.0 (I think I got the 3.0) works very well and provides a 25% increase on flow compared to the original Sicce circulation pumps. The drawback however was the short power cord. If you don't mind having an electrical extension hanging off the back of the tank, then it's no problem. For me the back has to be 'clean' as it is on display, therefore I couldn't replace all the pumps with a NYOS.

Pancho75

I have been investigating, I do want to have something closer to natural reef flow. Thay means the option to get the same type of Sicce pumps is off the table, the same goes for the Nyos Viper. Also the COR20 for the same reason. I was surprised Neptune built the COR15/20 without this capability for closed loop applications. ;Cow

This leaves me with the option of installing a manifold to either a Sicce SDC 6.0 or Vectra L2/M2. Both have the capabilities to simulate reef flows but both of them cannot be controlled by Apex. ;Eggonface

The final possibility is to use two Vortech (@SPR) or two Nero 5. These could be controlled by Apex but require an additional module and have the black cables on both sides in my tank which while my cabinet is white. ;Dead

I am leaning towards the Vectra or the Sicce even if they cannot be managed via Apex.

Last edited:

SPR

You don’t ‘have to’ control the Vortech’s via Apex you can run them manually and remember these have all the different flow patterns. The WXM module is not expensive in the scheme of things anyway.

I don’t even ‘see’ the wire on the outside glass anymore it just blends in and the wire, apart from about 2 inches were it crosses the top of the tank, and yours is presumably white, it goes into the light wire ducting.

I did mine for maintenance issues, there’s nothing wrong with the pre existing design, it’s all personal preference.

Pancho75

You don’t ‘have to’ control the Vortech’s via Apex you can run them manually and remember these have all the different flow patterns. The WXM module is not expensive in the scheme of things anyway.

I don’t even ‘see’ the wire on the outside glass anymore it just blends in and the wire, apart from about 2 inches were it crosses the top of the tank, and yours is presumably white, it goes into the light wire ducting.

I did mine for maintenance issues, there’s nothing wrong with the pre existing design, it’s all personal preference.
Yes, using the Vectra or Sicce SDC 6.0 would make maintenance easier, would also enable reef flow simulation and would avoid the wires. IMO even without Apex I think would be a win for me.

Last edited:

Nobbygas

I don't know enough about Apex as you guys are the experts, however can I ask the question, "is Apex now outdated?"
I ask that question after looking at what Ecotech are planning for the Mobius App. Everything is controlled via wifi. No cables (apart from power obviously) and the App is free! It has no central module. The devices themselves (pumps, lights. dosers etc) have chips inside that are used for control via the App or controlling devices via a wifi enabled plug. Apex can be expensive, especially when you start adding different modules. Have Ecotech moved onto the next level offering the same control, but at a much cheaper price?
I'm just wondering.

Pancho75

I don't know enough about Apex as you guys are the experts, however can I ask the question, "is Apex now outdated?"
I ask that question after looking at what Ecotech are planning for the Mobius App. Everything is controlled via wifi. No cables (apart from power obviously) and the App is free! It has no central module. The devices themselves (pumps, lights. dosers etc) have chips inside that are used for control via the App or controlling devices via a wifi enabled plug. Apex can be expensive, especially when you start adding different modules. Have Ecotech moved onto the next level offering the same control, but at a much cheaper price?
I'm just wondering.
That is a very good question, definitely Apex does more than controlling the equipment but also the IoT is changing the game.

Apex not only controls but also monitors the equipment so it can tell you when the equipment is failing, maybe more important are the probes to measure pH, temp, ORP and salinity that can save a tank from catastrophe. Finally bringing together all the different pieces in an ecosystem you can modify and tune.

In the other hand, I think there is a lot of opportunity for someone like Ecotech to get into the game in provide more user friendly controlling options. Apex can be a pain if you want to customize it. Recently Neptune is working on this but not enough for me.

Pancho75

Today is a big day, the tang triplete went in: purple, blue and yellow ! The purple tang is another of my dream fish along with the CBB, flame angel and picasso triggerfish (I know that trigger is impossible).

I turned off the lights for 3 hours and they seem to getting along among them, as they were in the same tank in the LFS but also with the current fish; I was concerned for the CBB but no problem so far. I expect the magnificent fox face to come in next week. Originally the plan was to wait until the fox fax arrived but the LFS needed to make space.

Pancho75

With the new additions I believe the tank has fully recovered from the crash, still missing more fish to have a similar population and I am considering who will be the next inhabitants.

Pancho75

Two of the three tangs are very active, eating like little pigs and no signs of aggression among the tank mates. I am talking about the yellow and the purple. I have not seen the blue in 24 hours and is nowhere to be found. I am not losing hope but he didn’t show up for feeding this morning. The purple developed one white spot that I expect to pass, the tank is mostly alone so fish have almost zero stress.

The rest of the tank mates are perfect including the CBB who is not shy anymore and the new melanarus. I’ll keep watching the tank.

Nobbygas

Two of the three tangs are very active, eating like little pigs and no signs of aggression among the tank mates. I am talking about the yellow and the purple. I have not seen the blue in 24 hours and is nowhere to be found. I am not losing hope but he didn’t show up for feeding this morning. The purple developed one white spot that I expect to pass, the tank is mostly alone so fish have almost zero stress.

The rest of the tank mates are perfect including the CBB who is not shy anymore and the new melanarus. I’ll keep watching the tank.
I still find it amazing that, in reality, our tanks are really quite small spaces, and most of us can observer the tank from at least two sides.......yet things can disappear for quite a while, and we have no idea where they are?

Pancho75

I still find it amazing that, in reality, our tanks are really quite small spaces, and most of us can observer the tank from at least two sides.......yet things can disappear for quite a while, and we have no idea where they are?
In my case at least 4 fish have “disappeared”, hide and seek masters? humans are not match for fish.

Pancho75

I have decided on the replacement pump for the rear chamber, it will be a Sicce SDC 9.0. It is a DC pump with capability to simulate Reef Crest waves and it can fit in the chamber. It can deliver 2500 gph vs. the 1710 gph of the 3 AC pumps. Also it has 5 year warranty.

I wanted the Ecotech Vectra M2 or L2 but they don’t fit in the chamber so it has to be Sicce.

Last edited:

Pancho75

The Brain.

7916db083bdb4c064a1ab664cff91fa9.jpeg

Nobbygas

I have decided on the replacement pump for the rear chamber, it will be a Sicce SDC 9.0. It is a DC pump with capability to simulate Reef Crest waves and it can fit in the chamber. It can deliver 2500 gph vs. the 1710 gph of the 3 AC pumps. Also it has 5 year warranty.

I wanted the Ecotech Vectra M2 or L2 but they don’t fit in the chamber so it has to be Sicce.
I take it that you are replacing the three circulation pumps for the single Sicce SDC 9.0?

Pancho75

I take it that you are replacing the three circulation pumps for the single Sicce SDC 9.0?
Yes, that is the plan. The Sicce SDC 9.0 has enough flow to substitute the 3 circulation pumps and fits in the rear chamber. I will place a 3-way divider out of the Sicce 9.0, this will also reduce the maintenance as it will be one pump instead of 3.