Oxy's RSM250

Oxylebius

So this has been happening lately.

A little closer view shows the duncan's tentacles attached to the green slimer acro.

I broke off the tip of the green slimer and thought I was done with it. Came home yesterday to the entire bottom of that green slimer branch engulfed with Duncan tentcles. Didn't snap a pic, was in a hurry. But, today I will need to brake off the entire branch.

You can see the dead area on the green slimer's branch on the pic below. The underside in two areas are dead.

Coral competition for space is happening in my tank. Duncan 1: green slimer 0.

Remember this happening (top of previous page), the Duncan took out the green slimmer, if you would believe it! I had to chop back the slimmer as the dead parts kept expanding and the duncans kept reaching for the coral. So sad. But, the slimmer will come back in time.

Last edited:

Oxylebius

Now that it has turned cool again :snow:, it marks the time of year when I get serious about my tank maintenance. TBH when it gets cold and I am no longer gardening or enjoying other outdoor activities I tend to spend more time on my reefkeeping routines and on this forum :dance:

These include cleaning the skimmer cup more often and soaking the skimmer pump in vinegar solution, as well as soaking my other pumps and powerheads in vinegar solutions to make sure that all the encrusted calcium deposits come off. Getting into the sump and sucking out detritus that has built up over the year. Wiping down the lighting of dust and salt spray. Making sure the rodi filters don’t need replacing and anticipating placing an order so that when they do in upcoming months I have filters on hand and I don’t have to scramble with a last minute order. And overall fragging and moving items in the tank and anticipating if I need to place a snail order come spring when the weather is warmer for shipping warm water critters :D

Pat24601

Now that it has turned cool again :snow:, it marks the time of year when I get serious about my tank maintenance. TBH when it gets cold and I am no longer gardening or enjoying other outdoor activities I tend to spend more time on my reefkeeping routines and on this forum :dance:

These include cleaning the skimmer cup more often and soaking the skimmer pump in vinegar solution, as well as soaking my other pumps and powerheads in vinegar solutions to make sure that all the encrusted calcium deposits come off. Getting into the sump and sucking out detritus that has built up over the year. Wiping down the lighting of dust and salt spray. Making sure the rodi filters don’t need replacing and anticipating placing an order so that when they do in upcoming months I have filters on hand and I don’t have to scramble with a last minute order. And overall fragging and moving items in the tank and anticipating if I need to place a snail order come spring when the weather is warmer for shipping warm water critters :D

Well, I’m not a Winter person, but if it means having you around more often I’ll live with the inhumanly cold 40 degree weather! (I live in the South now.)

Danreef

Well, I’m not a Winter person, but if it means having you around more often I’ll live with the inhumanly cold 40 degree weather! (I live in the South now.)
We are here (Westford, Mass) at -12 night and -2 now 11 AM. CENTIGRADE After 15 years I am still not used to F.... sorry.
In January will be lower.

I lost my job 4 weeks ago (reorganization) together with a lot of guys. In the meantime I find a new job, I will have time to do my maintenance and update my thread.

Stay tuned !!!!

Oxy....where are those incredible pictures you used to post ?

Cheers
Daniel

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oxylebius

We are here (Westford, Mass) at -12 night and -2 now 11 AM. CENTIGRADE After 15 years I am still not used to F.... sorry.
In January will be lower.

I lost my job 4 weeks ago (reorganization) together with a lot of guys. In the meantime I find a new job, I will have time to do my maintenance and update my thread.

Stay tuned !!!!

Oxy....where are those incredible pictures you used to post ?

Cheers
Daniel

Oh no, sorry to hear about the job. My program is slated to be cut by the current administration, so not sure what my future holds. It really sucks for anyone going through a potential loss of job and even more so when you do loose your job. So much stress and worry. :(

Looking forward to seeing your thread updated as well. Keep the positive posts coming! :biggrin:

Ok, ok. I will take a pic right now and post it (below). Beware, I took out two large coral heads and lost the large green slimer to the duncan and even though it is now a little frag, it is not a happy frag right now. So the tank overall is less spectacular AND it needs some sand cleaning, but hey at least the glass is clean :D

upload_2017-12-17_14-7-18.jpeg

BTW -- I noticed that the little asterina sea stars are targeting four of my acros and eating flesh. Every morning I'm pulling them off these corals and out of the tank. You can see the white on these corals in the pic (two acros center front, the green slimer and additional acro on the right center side of the tank). I know that you have to watch these as some of these species have been known to target corals. In the 6 years of having this tank and four years of having acros, this is the first time they have targeted the acros particularly. And I haven't added anything new to the tank in over 3 years. The last time anything new was added to the tank was when MACNA was in town over 3 years ago. And the stars have just started to boom in population and targeting the corals :dunno:

Attachments

• 20171217_135526_webLg.jpg
    20171217_135526_webLg.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 4

Oxylebius

It can get cold here with or with out snow. The way I see it, if it is going to be cold then I want the snow to go along with it :snow: it is just too dreary and miserable otherwise. I'd prefer seeing some white on the ground and in the trees. We've had three minor snow events already this month, which is unusual for us. One happened over the weekend on a Saturday a couple weeks back, but the roads stayed really good so I joined family and saw zoo lights in the snow, it was so wonderful and more magical while lightly snowing. I loved it!

Reactions: SPR

Danreef

It can get cold here with or with out snow. The way I see it, if it is going to be cold then I want the snow to go along with it :snow: it is just too dreary and miserable otherwise. I'd prefer seeing some white on the ground and in the trees. We've had three minor snow events already this month, which is unusual for us. One happened over the weekend on a Saturday a couple weeks back, but the roads stayed really good so I joined family and saw zoo lights in the snow, it was so wonderful and more magical while lightly snowing. I loved it!
Yeaaaaa until you have 2-3 feet of snow and ice and your life is at risk because you have to be careful on every step. [emoji54]

7 years for me of heavy snow is enough. I still need to survive 5-7 years until retirement, but we already have a house in Florida near my son's house (1 block [emoji23]) and ..... our granddaughter [emoji7].

The tank looks GREAT even that you have less corals or smaller colonies. You will see mine. It is out if control. It does not have the color as before. Growing is too slow, but I just do not add anything.

This week I will upload pictures and use the computer for the update....not the phone like now. So I can write more. [emoji16]

Cheers
Daniel

Danreef

Yeaaaaa until you have 2-3 feet of snow and ice and your life is at risk because you have to be careful on every step. [emoji54]

7 years for me of heavy snow is enough. I still need to survive 5-7 years until retirement, but we already have a house in Florida near my son's house (1 block [emoji23]) and ..... our granddaughter [emoji7].

The tank looks GREAT even that you have less corals or smaller colonies. You will see mine. It is out if control. It does not have the color as before. Growing is too slow, but I just do not add anything.

This week I will upload pictures and use the computer for the update....not the phone like now. So I can write more. [emoji16]

Cheers
Daniel

Standard winter pictures [emoji41]
7d790ff2a05f3eba8e23eb982650e5b3.jpg
3917887beb74ba55e6fbbdb87273f3a8.jpg

Oxylebius

After over two years of not adding any critters to my tank, I placed an order w/Divers Den and LiveAquaria. Come next Saturday I will have a restock of hermit crabs, snails, shrimps, one new coral and 3 new fish. :celebrate:

Time to get the QT set up and get the frag tank back in working condition. Starting on Boxing Day I will be making a little over 30 gallons of salt water to get the two additional tanks up and running ;)

Pat24601

After over two years of not adding any critters to my tank, I placed an order w/Divers Den and LiveAquaria. Come next Saturday I will have a restock of hermit crabs, snails, shrimps, one new coral and 3 new fish. :celebrate:

Time to get the QT set up and get the frag tank back in working condition. Starting on Boxing Day I will be making a little over 30 gallons of salt water to get the two additional tanks up and running ;)

Awesome, but we need details!

What coral? What fish?

Oxylebius

Haha, I only wanted to check in here for a brief moment today and I should have known I would be sucked into reading lots of threads of all the happenings in other people's tanks :lol:

I have another wrasse coming that I plan to be a mate of my current one, that would also force my current 5 year oldish wrasse to become a terminal male. A bonded pair of captive bred ORA hybrid cleaner gobies, a royal gramma, and lots of mated pairs of guppies for my turtle Morla :yummy: (the guppy population isn't keeping up with her this winter, she is supposed to go into hibernation but hasn't yet ). The coral is a Tubastrea aurea.

Inverts include: Astraea, cerith, nerite snails, electric blue hermit crabs, a pair of bumble bee shrimp and a pair of peppermint shrimp. :bigbounce:

Oxylebius

Post from Feb 2017:
You can see the neon coral, about a quarter of an inch in height on the pump.

Haha, the little coral that attached itself to my wave maker pump in the above from last Feb is now bigger. The little coral attached is bumped all day long as the wave maker pump turns on and off. Apparently its not a big deal! :lol:

upload_2018-11-18_17-36-10.jpeg

Attachments

• 20181118_172413.2.jpg
    20181118_172413.2.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 5

Oxylebius

So, all week I've been coming home to a rock with acans upside down in the sand. Each day I turn it over, ponder it a bit and go on my. :ponder2: This rock of acans I moved from a different location in the tank to the spot they are currently in this past weekend.

Today I woke with it upside down in the sand, again. The acans at this point are not happy with everyday dealing with being upside down in the sand. :( I turn it over and go about my business.

An hour later the acans are upside down in the sand. Again. I turn it over and sit on the couch watching the tank from the side. I watch the foxface and wrasse swim about. Then I see on the other side of the tank the toppling of the acans. Again. :mad:

These are the two other fish in the tank. These two are the culprits.

index.php

I take the rock of acans and glue it to a second rock thinking that this takes care of the issue. I sit back down on the couch and watch the tank from the other side again, pondering my recently chopped gorgonian and the two newly glued frags from it. When I see on the other side of the tank the two clowns take a larger loose rock with lots of duncans on it and topple it over the acans.

The duncans are now face first (if you will) in the sand. :tantrum:

Clownfish = 1; Owner = 0

That is it!

I place the rock of duncans back above the acans. I then proceed to move a bunch of sand over to the corner of the tank where the two clownfish like to keep clear of any sand whatsoever. Those of you who have clownfish know they can be stubborn on what they will and will not tolerate. For my two clowns, it is no sand near the rocks where they lay eggs. I gave up that fight long ago with them. You can see in the pic above the glass bottom of the tank, no sand. :nono:

BUT, today the sand goes back there! Now they have something else to keep them occupied and I hope they will leave the duncans and acans alone. :fingerscrossed:

I now bring a chair over to the clown's side of the tank and watch them try to move all the sand out by rubbing it with their bellies to stir it up. I see that the female is ready to lay eggs. Again. No wonder the odd behavior and not liking the new spot where I placed the acans.

I am determined to win this fight! :guns:

Last edited:

Pancho75

So, all week I've been coming home to a rock with acans upside down in the sand. Each day I turn it over, ponder it a bit and go on my. :ponder2: This rock of acans I moved from a different location in the tank to the spot they are currently in this past weekend.

Today I woke with it upside down in the sand, again. The acans at this point are not happy with everyday dealing with being upside down in the sand. :( I turn it over and go about my business.

An hour later the acans are upside down in the sand. Again. I turn it over and sit on the couch watching the tank from the side. I watch the foxface and wrasse swim about. Then I see on the other side of the tank the toppling of the acans. Again. :mad:

These are the two other fish in the tank. These two are the culprits.

index.php

I take the rock of acans and glue it to a second rock thinking that this takes care of the issue. I sit back down on the couch and watch the tank from the other side again, pondering my recently chopped gorgonian and the two newly glued frags from it. When I see on the other side of the tank the two clowns take a larger loose rock with lots of duncans on it and topple it over the acans.

The duncans are now face first (if you will) in the sand. :tantrum:

Clownfish = 1; Owner = 0

That is it!

I place the rock of duncans back above the acans. I then proceed to move a bunch of sand over to the corner of the tank where the two clownfish like to keep clear of any sand whatsoever. Those of you who have clownfish know they can be stubborn on what they will and will not tolerate. For my two clowns, it is no sand near the rocks where they lay eggs. I gave up that fight long ago with them. You can see in the pic above the glass bottom of the tank, no sand. :nono:

BUT, today the sand goes back there! Now they have something else to keep them occupied and I hope they will leave the duncans and acans alone. :fingerscrossed:

I now bring a chair over to the clown's side of the tank and watch them try to move all the sand out by rubbing it with their bellies to stir it up. I see that the female is ready to lay eggs. Again. No wonder the odd behavior and not liking the new spot where I placed the acans.

I am determined to win this fight! :guns:
Lol !

They can be really stubborn !

Let’s us know what is the final score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk