Oxy's RSM250

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
You have something VERY BEAUTIFUL to take pictures of, soooo....
WE L:heart:VE YOUR PICTURES :thumber:
(thanks for sharing pictures!)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Been thinking about your "caps down the side" and I love that idea. :D
Was looking at monti caps at LFS & the guy working there said that they tend to sting each other if different varieties....so I didn't buy one, kinda felt I needed to ask & research it more.
Are you planning on different colors down the side of your tank? How's the progress with them so far?

Oxylebius

My hermit crabs keeping knocking them down. I think the hermits are using the cap frags as ledges to climb up and down the rock. Other then that a few looked like they might bleach a little, been target feeding each time I see the bleaching start. So, that is under control right now.

It sounds like you lfs doesn't know what they are talking about, monti caps are peaceful and can be placed next to each other and other peaceful corals. They will tend to try to out compete other corals for light, by over-growing other corals, but not stinging. You can graph multiple caps together, they will end up growing into one multicolored coral head.

Overall, they are fine. Some are just starting to grow and attach to the rock, which is good b/c I'm tired of reaching in the tank every day or so to glue one or another back onto the rock.

It will be interesting to see which one grow faster and if any correlation can be made w/where on the rock they are located (top, middle, bottom).

My photos may not show the colors well, but there are four different colors down the side of the tank:
Grape Capicornis (pink/purple)
Orangade Capricornis (orange/red)
Purple Smoke Capricornis (deep purple)
Shady Lady Capricornis (olive green)

Thanks for asking

Last edited:

Oxylebius

I just had an avalanche of rocks and corals tumbling down (cleaning day) :smack:
Ended up braking off many coral branches and now I have nearly a dozen 2-4 inch coral sticks that I stuck in rock holes all over the tank....
I really need to get another coral order in otherwise my whole tank is going to look orange and green (once these coral sticks take hold and start growing).
:laugh:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I hope all your "accidental frags" grow to beautify your tank even more :thumbup:
I still haven't gotten myself a purple or green monti-cap yet but every time I see yours, I think I want to make a long long drive to look for me a couple. My red-orange one seems to be growing good.
How many fish do you have? I only see the pair of clowns.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Tank is looking great! How is your Calcium and Alk doing with the SPS growing? Are you having to dose anything yet?

Oxylebius

I hope all your "accidental frags" grow to beautify your tank even more :thumbup:
I still haven't gotten myself a purple or green monti-cap yet but every time I see yours, I think I want to make a long long drive to look for me a couple. My red-orange one seems to be growing good.
How many fish do you have? I only see the pair of clowns.

Thanks - yeah I'm sure all will happily grow. I'm just visually filling it in and I'm seeing a lot of orange and green corals now.... need to get some blues, purples, and pinks....

You should get those caps, they will be fine in your tank. JJ has some right now on his website (My Reef to Yours).

My Turbinaria is loosing color right now, not quite bleaching yet. The pink base color is turning white, but the polyps are still green, so I fed it and will feed it again tomorrow. I will watch it this week and see if it will pull through. I'll post a couple of pics shortly... downloading now....

Tank is looking great! How is your Calcium and Alk doing with the SPS growing? Are you having to dose anything yet?

Nope not dosing yet. My test kits expired so I haven't monitored those levels in a couple of months. I should. I have a order that I keep adding to and so this is a great reminder that I also need a few new testing kits. I'm still doing 4 gallon water changes weekly. But, I plan on doing some significant maintenance this January, just got a new pump and lights, so I will be pulling some of the tank apart and replacing parts..... this would be a good time to pull all three pumps and give them a good vinegar soak also.

Oxylebius

So here is the Yellow Scroll Turbinaria (T. reniformis), this photo was taken a little while ago.

And for comparison, this photo shows the pink part of the coral turning white, the polyps are still neon green, the photo really doesn't capture the color very well.

Oxylebius

Video of cleaner shrimp releasing fry... fry being eaten by fish
(not the best video, but it's a start. My two cleaner shrimp have been releasing fry every couple of weeks for the past year, but I can't seem to capture it well. I will try again during the next full moon)