Oxy's RSM250

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:tears: :( So sorry for your loss, I know you feel just awful thinking it's your own fault. Try to keep your chin UP & know that accidents are going to happen. Are you planning to get another urchin? If you enjoyed having one then just get you another one.
:craig: RIP Mr. Potato Head...You were L:heart:VED :craig:

Oxylebius

Not sure if I will get another one.

My plan over the next two months is to add more sps. I'm planning the orders and locations in the tank right now. In January I plan to start to QT fish, one at a time, so that by next July I will have all the fish in my tank that I plan to have (~3, maybe 4 more will be added between Jan-July). Seven fish is a good amount for a 66 gallon sps tank.... maybe too much? Will have to watch WQ fluctuations to determine it. After that (next fall) I plan to add a couple of Trapezia crabs, corals should be a good size by that time to handle them. Next winter I will evaluate where the tank is and then decide if a few more sps are needed to fill in any gaps.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Sorry to hear about the urchin. They are very interesting lifeforms to have in our tanks. Otherwise, your tank is looking beautiful.

Oxylebius

Yeah, thanks. I like urchins and used to do research on the cold water purple urchins... they are great aquarium critters. This one should have lived a nice life in my tank and was off to a good start.... grrr

Oxylebius

Just curious, do you dose anything? If not, how often and how much do you do water changes? This is a really nice example of being patient and good things will happen.

I don't dose anything.

I feed my sps corals once a week w/a pipette for target feeding. I didn't feed them much at first, but I have been feeding them for a good year now. I mix marine snow with frozen rotifers. The corals color-up nice after being fed. I've also seen polyps re-colonize areas where poylps had died away (due to feeding my encrusting purple haze monti repopulated polyps).

I know that a lot of sps keepers still think that sps get all they need from the lights, but that is not true and recent science is starting to prove it wrong. SPS corals have developed several unique ways of feeding; they receive nutrients from symbiotic algae, capture particles such as plankton, and take up dissolved substances from the water. Research is also showing that when corals receive less light, a decline in growth rate can be prevented by providing additional plankton. And coral feeding quickly leads to increased tissue production and protein concentration. If you haven't read over this website, I highly recommend that you do: http://www.coralscience.org/main/

Feeding sps also allow for implications to bring back a coral from a coral bleaching event. As long as the coral didn't loose its polyp tissue, a bleached coral can be kept alive if manually fed. A bleached coral won't have zooxanthellae to help feed it, so by manually feeding it zooplankton you allow the coral to survive (it won't starve) while it begins to obtain new zooxanthellae into its polyps again. This science is very cool! And can help many reefers from loosing corals to bleaching. It seems the old-time thing to do is to frag it and hope it survives... I would instead go the route of feeding the coral manually. http://www.coralscience.org/main/articles/nutrition-6/how-corals-feed

Video of sps feeding: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/proof-positive-sps-corals-consume-zooplankton

Oxylebius

hmmmmm acros

Yes, what are you wondering?

No acros here yet, I'm hesitant still about them. I wasn't able to keep birds nest alive, which are supposed to be easy, so I'm thinking the acros are out for now.....

I just put in an order for 8 capricornis, four different species, four different colors (pink, orange, purple, and green). I plan to fill them in down the left side of the tank, below the large capricornis that you can see in the photo below (sorry it is a little blurry) and then along the bottom where the monties are growing (in the front of the tank).

After that I plan to do a third tier along the level where the current green stylo is located (middle upper right of tank), and perhaps buy a few more stylos, like the very pretty rainbow stylo.

But, before I do that I would like to upgrade the right side pump. It is the stock pump and I have my chiller hooked to it. Once the chiller got hooked up it lowered the flow into the tank (due to the longer tubes, etc), and I would like to increase the flow on that side of the tank a little more then what it currently gets. I had two Seriatopora's growing there before the chiller got hooked up (Pink Lace Bird's Nest and ORA Bird of Paradise) but right after hooking up the chiller both passed on.... so I'm thinking it was due to a lower flow rate.

Oxylebius

I did try to multi-color graph the orange and blue monties - no luck, the orange out competed the blue. But, since they are monties and they don't sweeper tentacles, they are starting to grow into each other more, perhaps they will start to interlock and intertwine as they grow taller.

Oxylebius

Update:

New Corals:
Grape Capicornis (pink/purple)
Orangade Capricornis (orange/red)
Purple Smoke Capricornis (deep purple)
Shady Lady Capricornis (olive green)
Photos of the rock with several Cap Frags (from top to bottom):

Frilly Purple Gorgonain (and thread here)

Spongodes.
I don't think this is what it said it was... I will have to wait and watch it grow.

And then I got two frags which I don't think they are what they were labeled:

I was told I received a Tyree Rainbow, but it looks more like a Tyree Sunset (photo below). I will have to wait and watch it grow a little more to determine what it is. I will have to get a better picture then this, but you can see the yellow/green polyps w/pinkish base.

I was told I received a Gold Ruffle Turbinaria, but it looks more like a Turbinaria reniformis (photo below). I will have to wait and watch it grow a little more to determine what it is.

Last edited:

Tokalosh

SWEET, just keep in mind where and how many Montie you place in your tank. They tend to grow fast and shade other corals.

Tok

Oxylebius

SWEET, just keep in mind where and how many Montie you place in your tank. They tend to grow fast and shade other corals.

Tok

Yeah, I know, I wasn't thinking straight when I put one in the upper right side of the tank.... that is why I plan to keep them along the bottom and down the left side.... only problem is that the one up high on the right side I will now have to keep it cut back.... the others shouldn't present any issues with shading, except shading each other.