Overflow Protection RSM250

eric w

Hi all,

Tank has been going for a week now and have a question. I have an external pump running my chiller and U/V.... I was thing what might occur if one of the flow pumps was to stop working.... if it did i think the back tank would fill up and over flow.....my question i assume someone else has thought of this and what they came up with. I was thing of putting a float on the the back tank that is connected to the RSM power and to the external pump.... if it gets to high power would shut off both systems...Thoughts??

tnwillia

Are you running your chiller & UV in/out thru the right side accessy port? Are both your output and return line well below the back chamber water line? If this is the case you have a "closed loop" Everything on the outside the tank in this path is sealed non leaking, everything in the tank is well below the water line so the flow in this path has no where to go but in/out the chamber its in with or without power to the pumps. Easy your mind, if your set up this way kill the power and see than nothing bad happens! Now, this depends on how you are actually plumbed, tell us more. Good luck!

ausreef

if the chiller and uv are lower than the water line its impossible for the tank to overflow,a pump stopping will just stop the water flow,wheres all the water coming from to overflow the tank?

eric w

Reply I have a pond master 9.5 (950 gph) and a oceanic 1/6 hp chiller...yes they are plumbed to the rt side of the aquairum with the ends going into the tank back about 5-6 inches...would i be safe then? Thanks

eric w

Also do the Chiller and U/V need to be plumbed so that they are below the top water line im guessing?

tnwillia

+1^, assuming these are on the floor or in the cabinet they are lower than the DT water line. If the hoses are 5 to 6" down the only time you will break siphone (if then) would be during water changes. But as ausreef says with every thing lower than the water line it doesnt matter, Now if this equipment was above you water line gravity would take over. Power down the tank and see your safe!

Also, all this changes to some degree if you rework your system plumbing into a sump instead of the DT if the sump is at or below the water line of the external equipment. Have fun!

N83259

The only way I can think of to overflow a RS250 (provided you have followed Tom's advice above), would be to have a stuck ATO and a very large reservoir.