Over-skimming after tank move

wscttwolfe

My tank is a two year old RSM 130D. I moved the tank 6 days ago, and the skimmer is still wayyyy overskimming (collection bucket will overflow within 10-20 seconds). Aside from water changes, any thoughts on what to do to return the skimming to a more normal level?

Snid

When you did the move process, was the sand re-used if there was any? Usually you want to start with fresh sand because so many bad things are stirred up that were trapped down there. If that is your case, then I'm not sure what the solution is other than continuing with water changes and skimming. :dunno:

DaveK

When you move a tank, there is going to be a certain amount of die off. There may not even be enough to cause an ammonia spike, but it can easily cause the skimmer to overflow.

What you do is turn the skimmer down until it's skimming a much denser material. Then slowly, over a couple of weeks, increase the flow thought the skimmer until it's back where you were.

BTW, if you used any additives durring the move, those can cause skimmer overflows.