OT Stressed over my missing/stolen dog.

blue_eyes53813

Some may think this is sooooooooo silly. But some may know how hard it is to lose an animal.

This is such a long story, but I will try to make it short. I have had a terrier dog named Lincoln since he was a pup and he is 4 years old now.. He was a problem dog very temperamental. Yea I know its the breed. I do daycare and things just wasnt working out. I was afraid he may nip one of the children and so I paid alot of $ for obediance classes for this dog. I really just kept him away from the children during daycare hours because there was just no gaurantee he wouldnt bite someone. And I couldnt take the risk. I realized as time went by that it wasnt fare for Lincoln to be locked up or chained up away from everybody. I started asking around and trying to find him a new home. I wanted it to be where if it didnt work out with the new owners I could get him back. Or if they had questions about his obediance commands they could call me. He was doing very good with the commands but to a new family they may not know what to say to make him mind.

Anyway.. I have this friend that I have known for many many many years and I was asking her if she knew anyone that might want Lincoln and explained that he may bite and has bitten before. And said the new owners will need to be aware of this problem. I said he was aggressive and wasnt sure how he even acts around other animals. he may nip at them too . She said "OOHHHH let me take him out to my house and see what he does around all my dogs" I think she has like 10 dogs of all sizes. I said are you sure and that I want him back and this is a trail only... Well she took Lincoln to her home and I visited him about 3 times in the 10 days he was there. I talked to her dailey to see how he was acting and if he was biting. I told her I had a grooming on the 9th for him and will be picking him up... She said ok ok ok.. Well I get a call on this last Monday the 5th.

She Sold him.... I am soooooooo devistated. I have been crying for days. She has told me soooo many stories at where he went. And the new owner doesnt want to be contacted. She said she took him to a humane society and they found a home for him.... I have gone around in circles with the cops involved but it is just going no where.

It is frustrating because alot of people say.. "its just a dog"

There has to be better laws for this kind of thing I have realized I just have to let him Go....

I believe she did it for the $... Its really sad.....

Anyway just ranting....

goldenmean

I feel for you Vicki.
That is very sad.

Well you know what type of friend your "friend" is.
Hopefully Lincoln is with a good home.

rlcline76

I am so sorry to hear of this! I would have been ticked! So, she sold a dog that wasn't hers. Sounds illegal.

I know some "people" in the midwest, would be happy to pay this "friend" a visit...lol...just kidding...DO NOT call the cops...yet.

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
That is horrible.....Could you get the police to get any kind of information at the humane society? Is he microchipped? then you could get him back no questions asked. If he is they should have scanned him and documented it. I had a neighbor poison my childhood cat that I raised from a kitten, she layed down rat poison in her flower bed because our cat was walking in her precious flowers.

Im sorry to hear of this, and ppl like this. sounds to me like she might still have him, and is feeding you a big spoon full of BS.

blue_eyes53813

Thanks Everyone. The cops said since I knew she had Lincoln at her place and gave her permission to work with Lincoln it is not really "Stolen" But in my heart it is... She sold him without my permission and wont tell me where he is...

I gave her permission to keep him at her place but not to get rid of him.

So what I have found out the last couple of days is... This sooo called humane society she told me about , Doesnt have a license. Is claiming to be a humane society and charging adoption fees for these pets that ( I believe) are all stolen.

I did talk to a rep today and said I know what is going on and she had better get my dog back to me.... It is really to the point I am PO'd. I was before but It was more of a grieving mode and now the grieving as I settle down and think through what I can do is turning to anger.

i was led to a Forum something like ebay but its not . I found the add where my dog was posted. It said adoption fees are $75- $150.... I believe it was much much more.

I am rattling cages at this so called humane society... I am praying i can find him..

lcstorc

What an awful thing. I am so sorry to hear about this. I know what a kind and loving person you are so it has to be tearing you up. Hopefully you can get him back. Unfortunately it looks like your friend wasn't a very good friend either.

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
anything you need.....What I do for a living is FIND PPL....let me know..please.....phone numbers, addresses..whatever you want!

teresa

So sorry to hear about about this. I can understand how you feel. A dog is not just a dog!!! It is your best friend, your companion, your everything. I have 5 of them and I know.
Hope there is a happy ending to this sad incident.
She is not your " Friend"

blue_eyes53813

Thanks Again Everyone.... I feel for the family that adopted him as well. Like I said I was gonna look for a home and if I do get the chance to talk to the new family I will probably let them keep him. I just want to make sure he is in a good home and to let them know if it doesnt work I would take him back.

And if possible from time to time see a picture of him.... The new family didnt ask for this either...

Its the NOT KNOWING that can drive ya nuts...

BarbMazz

I'm so sorry you're going through this, Vicki. And I really don't like that "it's only a dog" thing. They are living creatures with souls who give them to us for keeping.

It's sounds to me as though you are on the right track. I know you know the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I'll be sending good thoughts your way for a good outcome to this situation.

rlcline76

There was an add on eBay? I would be contacting them, heck if it was a matter of nabbing neighborhood pets and putting out an add, I would have a part time job. If this Human Society is doing business as the Human Society, I am guessing you could report them to a central office and to your local Attorney General's office.

blue_eyes53813

The site is mwt.net it is a forum/ bulletin board for ads. It is like ebay where people post things for sale.... After I find out where my dog is I will def. be turning them in...

Octoman

The cops said since I knew she had Lincoln at her place and gave her permission to work with Lincoln it is not really "Stolen" But in my heart it is... She sold him without my permission and wont tell me where he is...

I gave her permission to keep him at her place but not to get rid of him.

So by the cops reasoning, if I board my dog at the kennel while I go on vacation, they have the right to sell him...

Something doesn't sound right about that. I wouldn't surprised if the cops are just telling you whatever because they feel like they have more important things to do. It seems to me that unless there was a contract of some sort allowing her to sell your dog, that she has committed a criminal act. Even animal control gets in trouble if they adopt out a stray without waiting the required time for the owner to claim it.

My heart goes out to you, I am a dog/cat lover and I can't even imagine how I would feel if it was my dog.

lcstorc

Actually we were told a similar thing by the police about a car. Since we had given the person the keys they woudn't consider it stolen and we had to find it and get it back on our own. Not a fun thing to do.
Also when some mistreated horses wandered into my yard, animal control tole me to keep them. I didn't want to be shot by the owner so I let them take them back and I called animal control on them weekly until they moved.

Royalscott

So by the cops reasoning, if I board my dog at the kennel while I go on vacation, they have the right to sell him...
No. When you board your animal, you usually sign a contract or agreement. In the agreement it states that if you do not pick you animal up after said days and after so many contacts from them, they may turn the animal over to a rescue, pound or even have it euthanized.

This is totally different from giving someone your dog to try out.

Royalscott

I do animal rescue and have many contacts all over the US. PM me the info and name of the "shelter" and I will see what I can find out for you. Also the dogs name and breed please. You said terrier and I hope for the dogs sake he is not an Am Staff.

Octoman

No. When you board your animal, you usually sign a contract or agreement. In the agreement it states that if you do not pick you animal up after said days and after so many contacts from them, they may turn the animal over to a rescue, pound or even have it euthanized.

This is totally different from giving someone your dog to try out.

You're right, that is a different situation, but something still does not sound right. She had lawful permission to possess the dog, but not to sell it or transfer ownership of it. Here I think that is called "theft by conversion".

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
do we have to send mad dog Bob up there? I couldnt imagine somebody doing that to me, the leash would be on them till pup showed up

kathywithbirds

OMG that is horrible!!! I hope you get your dog back Vicki, and I hope this "friend's" karma comes back to bite her in the a$$!!

Edit: Sorry, called you Lorraine. Not paying attention to avatars.

Last edited: