Ordering Fish Online?

Jvo

Hey guys I am sorry if this is in the wrong place but I am pretty new to the forums and this looked like the best place to post.

Is ordering fish online a good option? If so where is a good place to do so?

I ask because my Local Pet Shop doesn't have Pistol Shrimp and I wanted one to pair up with a Watchman Goby.

DaveK

If possible, I prefer to use my LFS. That way you can see what your getting.

There are a lot of good online suppliers. I will not try to pick one because I have not ordered fish online for a long time.

A few hints -
Order in spring or fall if possible, when temps are not too hot or cold.
Make sure your their to receive your shipment.
Many vendors will replace or give you a credit for losses in shipping, but they will charge you shipping. This is reasonable because shipping can cost may times the price of the livestock.
It might be less expensive to drive a long way to another LFS, rather than pay for shipping.

Jvo

If possible, I prefer to use my LFS. That way you can see what your getting.

There are a lot of good online suppliers. I will not try to pick one because I have not ordered fish online for a long time.

A few hints -
Order in spring or fall if possible, when temps are not too hot or cold.
Make sure your their to receive your shipment.
Many vendors will replace or give you a credit for losses in shipping, but they will charge you shipping. This is reasonable because shipping can cost may times the price of the livestock.
It might be less expensive to drive a long way to another LFS, rather than pay for shipping.
Thanks for the quick response. I'll look and see what other locations I have within an hour drive or so.

spiraling

I ordered from blue zoo last spring. I was happy with my gobi (avatar!), pistol (they paired within a week) and two clowns. The gobi was a little skinny, but is still doing very well. I got some CUC as well, and the emerald crab didn't survive shipping. They gave me credit (it was under $10) which was good for a year I think, but that doesn't do you good if you are ordering one time, which is something to consider. I would order from them again though.

The downside to ordering online is you tend to order more to save on shipping. Be careful not to order so much that you spike your parameters. Its easy and bad to do.

When I am driving distances to visit relatives I buy at remote locations. A cooler with a heater pack can keep livestock happy 8+ hours, mine often sit overnight without problems. I think that is probably less stressful than shipping overnight since they aren't thrown around. I often pick up critters over the holidays and you don't need to worry about temps since they are with you and not in a warehouse. :D

Another possibility is to see if your LFS will order things in for you. Since they are already paying shipping it might be an option.

Jvo

I ordered from blue zoo last spring. I was happy with my gobi (avatar!), pistol (they paired within a week) and two clowns. The gobi was a little skinny, but is still doing very well. I got some CUC as well, and the emerald crab didn't survive shipping. They gave me credit (it was under $10) which was good for a year I think, but that doesn't do you good if you are ordering one time, which is something to consider. I would order from them again though.

The downside to ordering online is you tend to order more to save on shipping. Be careful not to order so much that you spike your parameters. Its easy and bad to do.

When I am driving distances to visit relatives I buy at remote locations. A cooler with a heater pack can keep livestock happy 8+ hours, mine often sit overnight without problems. I think that is probably less stressful than shipping overnight since they aren't thrown around. I often pick up critters over the holidays and you don't need to worry about temps since they are with you and not in a warehouse. :D

Another possibility is to see if your LFS will order things in for you. Since they are already paying shipping it might be an option.
I never thought about picking fish up when I go to visit people. Good Call. My LFS will order things but it is kind of a pain in the rear.

spiraling

If you do plan to travel with them be sure to tell the store when they pack them. Generally they will use larger bags for each so there is more water, pack each one individually in case one dies it doesn't kill others, and double or triple bag them for durability.

mtsully71

all have offered good suggestions and I have done them all, except LFS because they are horrible where I am at. One other key to remember is acclimation. Do so slowly and correctly it will put less stress on the fish when adjusting to the new environment. Also, I have moved my pistol/goby pair twice. What I found works well is to dig out a little bit of a hole where I want them and release 1 at a time as near the opening as possible. Had no issues of them pairing back up.

Pat24601

This is a good point on online ordering. My parameters aren't as much my concern as my wallet. Liveaquaria I think does free shipping for like $175 (or thereabouts). So, when I order, I almost always order $175 worth of stuff to get the free shipping. Typically that means I order a bunch of corals I don't really "need". :)

Then again, I've been known many times to walk into my LFS to get water and walk out with $100 - $200 in corals. So, either way I guess I'm screwed.