Ordering a reef test kit - what else should I place with my order- for fixing issues

Hello,
My tank is a 38 gallon. So far I have always tested with just the good ole parameter basic test.

Have never tested for calcium, magnesium, alkalinity

So I am purchasing that kit today.

I was reading about esv ionic duo kits and dropper machines..etc- overwhelming to me........overwhelming to me.

Since my tank is small. Let's say I need to bring up things..down things... What should I also purchase so I have this on hand if I test and calcium is way low, the magnesium and alk out of sync....????????

Basic and simple for me to do... Something that I don't have to convert..lol since my tank is the size it is. Is their anything you advise to get and keep under my tank stand? Something that you manually add in such as by the capfuls into my Rodi water and then pour in the back of refugium section on my innovative marine tank?????

I think if I understand this right. I plan to keep up with 10 g-water changes a week. But because I keep a fan on it now I loose a ton of water and add in Rodi every other day before its time to change the water- hence Iam pretty sure I could bet ya when I test my water out ( kit comes) I will be all over the place with off numbers.

Don't I follow first getting alk up????? If that number is low? Then do the calcium correction number or can I work on both at the same time? But never add more then a certain amount a day????

I want to have it on hand...if Iam paying shipping then I want to order what's might be needed on hand .

Or is it something I shouldn't have to worry about since I will be doing weekly water changes??? And tank is small?
Yet I have read that even people with nanocubes do all this adding calcium, alk,,,etc and do weekly water changes too.

I just assume with so much evaporation now..I just think maybe the stony corals I do have would need this???

Is their something I should I have on hand???? Easiest method without dose pump please. Dose pump..I don't want at this time.

Is the duo b ionic buffer calcium/ alk kit something that can be manually added to my Rodi water? If need be? If so would one know amount from the bottles? If I were to go that route. 38 gallon tank, but it only took (5-6) 5 gallon buckets to fill up the tank. When I drained tank and refilled.

Or should I just get 3 separate bottle..or what do you advise I get? And have on hand???

I just know when I test this water. Come back to you all with the numbers you all are going to say..you need to raise that alk, raise that calcium..etc and then I would say..what I do????? What do I order??? How do I do this??

This way I have it all on hand.

Thank you all for helping get this tank functioning the best it can.

Blessings
Carol

Roots

Re: Ordering a reef test kit - what else should I place with my order- for fixing iss

Here are the things I test for and the supplements I use in my tank. I'm sure others will have input as well.

I have the basic Saltwater Test Kit, pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and I also test for Calcium, and Carbonate Harness and Phosphates.

I do very infrequent water changes. I add about 1 gallon of Fresh RO water daily to my main DT usually in two half gallon doses, one in the morning and one in the evening. Because of this I use Brightwell Aquatics Liquid Reef and Alkaline 8.3 alkalinity and pH buffer. I also add some Iodine supplement occasionally.

That's pretty much all I do aside from monitor salinity.

I don't know where you're ordering from, but both PetSolutions.com and DrsFosterSmith.com ship free any order over $49.

BLADEYAMAHA

Re: Ordering a reef test kit - what else should I place with my order- for fixing iss

Salt, order salt and do regular weekly water changes to your tank, water changes are your tank's best friend. If you do weekly water changes the calcium and magnesium and etc. get changed out too along with alkalinity stabilizers or whatever else that have to do with ph. You may have to still adjust your alk and ph but try the W/C first. Get a Good Salt Mix like Reef Crystals or D and D. Don't get Red Sea Pro Coral Salt.

Roots

It's always good to have extra salt on hand for sure.

I like and use H2Ocean Reef Salt, but I've also used Instant Ocean (My least favorite so far), and Coralife Reef Salt (I liked it).

BLADEYAMAHA

D and D H2Ocean is next on Salt to buy because I can get it at cost. I used to use Coralife Salt, no problems here, just really have a distaste for the company now. I absolutely hate IO.

I don't make my own.... Iam scared..lol..
I run to the Lfs and always buy it premixed from them out of their huge system. It's just how I do it. So I don't make my own.

How many of my 5 gallon buckets would you suggest weekly? My tank is the 38 gallon innovative marine.

I don't have any or should I say much coralline. That's what got me thinking I bet I am way off

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
5 gallon weekly is a good number and its an easy change.

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

Is this what I should throw in my order...of just to have in case
Reef Aquarium Calcium and Buffer Supplements: Brightwell Aquatics Reef Code A and Reef Code B

I do want it on hand in case I test water and it's not good enough..I would love some coralline in my tank..

But will not use if not needed.

This product would this be the easiest for me? Just add it to the tank if need be???? To raise things if need be? Tanks is small so I would think a liquid premade would be the easiest for my - cant figure shiat out mind....

Let me know
Blessings
Carol

And thank you friends

Roots

This is what I use. Liquid Reef and I use the Liquid version of this Alkaline 8.3 pH and alkalinity buffer.

lg-35533-61713-fish.jpg
lg-35527-48352-fish-supply.jpg

The Reef Code A and Reef Code B look to be a similar duo of products. I like Brightwell Aquatics stuff, I'm sure it would also work well.

BLADEYAMAHA

If you do your weekly water changes you won't have to dose at all, its a waste of money.

reefer gladness

If you don't have one already I'd highly recommend buying a refractometer, a hydrometer is an educated guess at best. An ATO will definitely make life easier and keep salinity more stable. Even the least expensive controllers on the market include ATO functions and a pH meter so that's something to consider when the time comes.

Opinions vary on what and if to dose. I'd say rely on water changes to start but at some point if you add enough corals water changes alone won't replace everything and each salt is a little different. Having good test kits on hand will keep you informed about what's going on in your tank and you can make adjustments as needed.

Roots

If you do your weekly water changes you won't have to dose at all, its a waste of money.
While this is not bad advice to do weekly water changes, I disagree that using quality additives are a waste. If I use very little salt because I rarely do water changes then the money probably equals out pretty close, actually I probably spend a lot less on the additives than I would on salt if I were doing weekly changes. Not to mention that the bigger the system the more of a PITA it can be to do water changes. However, it requires a stable system in order to avoid doing regular water changes and it's not a style that works for everyone. Obviously water changes are an aquarist's friend and I would never discourage doing them, but if your system is like mine and runs pretty much like clockwork then you can use additives to control calcium and other elements in order to keep a healthy reef without as much laborious maintenance on the part of the aquarist. That way I get to spend less time working on my tank and more time enjoying it.

I appreciate everyone's experience and advise.

I just want to make sure ...all will benefit in my tank..including my clam..
Things like that...
So I was worried calcium was being sucked out with my calcium suckers..lol

Just want to do the best I can with my massive water evaporation that has been happening

Doogle

Refractometer, salt.(learn to mix your own) test kits- basic tests(ph,ammo,nitrite,nitrates) and advanced tests like magnesium,alkalinity(dkh/carbonate hardness) phosphates and calcium.
I would test my water over a weeks time and write down your numbers, that way you see how your tank is using it's calcium and alkalinity etc.. Then try a small water change (mixed yourself) and retest a few hours later, write down results. You will learn about your tank this way. Then you can try dosing small amounts of kalkwaser/limewater for cal and baking soda/soda ash for you alk swings ( or one of the many other dosing products ) I know water changes replenish my tank fine but I'm at that point where I can go without water changes if I can properly dose for cal/alk myself, it CAN be easier than doing a water change once you are confident but not at the beginning when your figuring everything out...lol. So mix your own saltwater, you can't trust getting it from a lfs and you need to know how to at least make your own and know how to measure salinity.
Oh ya it sounds like you may need a chiller too.

You have a clam already?

Thanks so much..My tank is almost a year old.

I just never paid any attention to magnesium and calcium and alk. Until now that my tank crashed.

Thanks

DaveK

Here is my take on test kits. I've posted it before, but it's worth repeating.

DaveK's Standard Lecture #4 – Test Kits

There are a host of items that you may wish to test for in a reef system.

First before you worry about the other tests, make sure your SG is correct. I highly recommend using a refractometer for this measurement. Aquarium grade hydrometers tend to be very inaccurate, especially when used over time.

Once you have the SG correct you'll need the following test kits for the initial cycle -
pH (This can also be done via a pH meter, which is more accurate, and expensive)
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate (low range)

To properly monitor the water, especially for corals, these these kits are often used -
KH or Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium
Phosphate

There are a host of other test kits you can get. I have some of them but do not typically use them.
Iodine - only needed if you are dousing iodine, which is not something I recommend.
Copper - only needed if you are treating a disease in a QT tank with copper.
Silicate - only needed if you suspect a problem with silicate in the water.
Strontium - only needed if dousing strontium

I think I've covered most of the major ones.

Each test kit works differently, so you need to consult the manufacturers instructions for each test.

As for brands, in aquarium grade test kits I like Elos and Salifret. LaMotte test kits are excellent, but extremely expensive. Most of the others are ok. Like anything else you get what you pay for.

If you do get a reading that seems way off, repeat the test, and if it still seems way off, use another brand test kit and repeat the test. In other words, consider that the test kit may be wrong.

You'll notice that you most likely will need to get a lot of test kits. It's often a lot less expensive to order them via the net, and you'll also know the test kit hasn't been sitting on the LFS shelf for years.

Now on additives -

Just about the worst thing you can do is to use additives to "chase a number" that you get from your water tests. If your going to use them, use specific additives to resolve a specific issue. Also, do not use additives, if you can't measure their results. If you can't test for it, don't mess with an additive for it.

As pointed out by several others, water changes are your best friend here. If your doing regular water changes you shouldn't need much, if anything, in the way of additives. Be sure to test any new batches of water. Some brands of salt mix very low or high for certain parameters. If you find that this is the case, change to a better brand of salt.

Re: Ordering a reef test kit - what else should

Just go to my build link..go to the last few post and you will see my tank,,, a day before my lovely crash...
Blessings

My tank is almost a year old..I am greatful that some of my beloveds survived.

Thanks so much Dave for taking the time and explaining.

Blessings

QUOTE=DaveK;1124088]Here is my take on test kits. I've posted it before, but it's worth repeating.

DaveK's Standard Lecture #4 – Test Kits

There are a host of items that you may wish to test for in a reef system.

First before you worry about the other tests, make sure your SG is correct. I highly recommend using a refractometer for this measurement. Aquarium grade hydrometers tend to be very inaccurate, especially when used over time.

Once you have the SG correct you'll need the following test kits for the initial cycle -
pH (This can also be done via a pH meter, which is more accurate, and expensive)
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate (low range)

To properly monitor the water, especially for corals, these these kits are often used -
KH or Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium
Phosphate

There are a host of other test kits you can get. I have some of them but do not typically use them.
Iodine - only needed if you are dousing iodine, which is not something I recommend.
Copper - only needed if you are treating a disease in a QT tank with copper.
Silicate - only needed if you suspect a problem with silicate in the water.
Strontium - only needed if dousing strontium

I think I've covered most of the major ones.

Each test kit works differently, so you need to consult the manufacturers instructions for each test.

As for brands, in aquarium grade test kits I like Elos and Salifret. LaMotte test kits are excellent, but extremely expensive. Most of the others are ok. Like anything else you get what you pay for.

If you do get a reading that seems way off, repeat the test, and if it still seems way off, use another brand test kit and repeat the test. In other words, consider that the test kit may be wrong.

You'll notice that you most likely will need to get a lot of test kits. It's often a lot less expensive to order them via the net, and you'll also know the test kit hasn't been sitting on the LFS shelf for years.

Now on additives -

Just about the worst thing you can do is to use additives to "chase a number" that you get from your water tests. If your going to use them, use specific additives to resolve a specific issue. Also, do not use additives, if you can't measure their results. If you can't test for it, don't mess with an additive for it.

As pointed out by several others, water changes are your best friend here. If your doing regular water changes you shouldn't need much, if anything, in the way of additives. Be sure to test any new batches of water. Some brands of salt mix very low or high for certain parameters. If you find that this is the case, change to a better brand of salt.
[/QUOTE]