Ordered RSM S-650 (White)

steve w

Hi all,
Im new-ish
I used to have a RSM 250 but sold up 5 yrs ago due to work commitments, anyhow, we are due to move house (new build) in March next year and i have just ordered my new tank for when we do move (Black friday Offer).
I have been out of the hobby for 5 yrs and Wow, it looks like a lot has moved on. I was only ever small time and a beginner but i did love my tank back then. So looking forward to getting going in march however im scared to death at all the changes and extra equipment you are all buying.

One thing i could do with some advice on is, i have an opportunity to add sockets, water tap, waste outlet in the area of where i am going to locate my tank. Has anybody got a waste outlet or water feed close by and if so, what waste fittings could i ask the developers to install? I am pretty useles at this, so photos or links or good descriptions would be very much appreciated. I am thinking that i may be able to get the RO set up and all maintenance stuff in a cabinet next to my tank and then water changes can be simpler with waste being sent straight outside to drain location on other side of the wall.

I am meeting the developers tomorrow, so if i am going to try and get this feature added i need to act quick.

Oh id love to see a 650 set up if anybody knows somewhere that has one.....
Thanks very much Steve

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Hi Steve, and welcome :)

Unfortunately, my S-650 is a real stand-alone unit. I don't have any extra plumbing etc. However, on reflection I would have provided a connection for the Chiller Outlet to vent through an outside wall. In the current location of the tank this is impossible, so maybe with the knowledge and experience I have now I may have placed the tank in a better position to get that access. It sounds as though you will have access to an outer wall though.
As for water changes, I don't do them. The only time I complete a water change is if I clean the Sump (once a year?). Have a look on 'Shaun's 2000 litre' thread. He has built an external water station that feeds through the wall for his new tank. Hope this helps.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Hi Steve and welcome

Having just built a new big system from scratch, and running the S650, The best advice I can offer is that you really need to decide from the outset how you are going to maintain the tank and do water changes etc and then design the systems around that.

If you hate doing water changes, get Apex and DOS. It does it all for you at the press of a button, although yes I appreciate it isn’t cheap, but it makes the hobby much more enjoyable

If you want to do manual water changes then just plan how, but I can tell you, humping buckets of water around got very tedious after around 3 years especially when you realise there are easier ways

Extra sockets are always handy, as are holes in walls, having said that both my systems are run from just 3 sockets with 8 gangs and all sorts!

SPR

I tell you what I would also do while your building the new S650 before it gets wet.

Add a gate valve to the main down pipe inside the sump and make that stupid rear downpipe adjuster obsolete. You can also then push the tank right back to the wall.

I told @Nobbygas i would sooner buy a new tank before I would ever clean that! Lol. And I never have cleaned it.

it’s just a maintenance potential pain in the bottom if it ever gets jammed or something .

steve w

Hi Steve, and welcome :)

Unfortunately, my S-650 is a real stand-alone unit. I don't have any extra plumbing etc. However, on reflection I would have provided a connection for the Chiller Outlet to vent through an outside wall. In the current location of the tank this is impossible, so maybe with the knowledge and experience I have now I may have placed the tank in a better position to get that access. It sounds as though you will have access to an outer wall though.
As for water changes, I don't do them. The only time I complete a water change is if I clean the Sump (once a year?). Have a look on 'Shaun's 2000 litre' thread. He has built an external water station that feeds through the wall for his new tank. Hope this helps.
Hi Nobbygas,
Thanks for replying and your advice, I am quite inexperienced so everything at the minute is difficult to understand, having not yet recieved the tank and wont do until march (house wont be finished being built until then) its hard to understand. when you say chiller outlet through the wall, do you mean the ciller would be outside? if so why and does this then need to be housed outside or do you mean a air vent type cover/plate fitted in the area that the chiller would go? would this create a draft into the lounge in say the winter months? sorry to ask further but i think this could be important and more so if i am looking at trying to get provisions built into the house i need to act quite quickly.
Thanks very much - Steve.

steve w

Hi Steve and welcome

Having just built a new big system from scratch, and running the S650, The best advice I can offer is that you really need to decide from the outset how you are going to maintain the tank and do water changes etc and then design the systems around that.

If you hate doing water changes, get Apex and DOS. It does it all for you at the press of a button, although yes I appreciate it isn’t cheap, but it makes the hobby much more enjoyable

If you want to do manual water changes then just plan how, but I can tell you, humping buckets of water around got very tedious after around 3 years especially when you realise there are easier ways

Extra sockets are always handy, as are holes in walls, having said that both my systems are run from just 3 sockets with 8 gangs and all sorts!
Hi, I dont have enough experience to choose as such whether doing water changes or not is best, therefore, as it seems fairly normal and good routine id expect i will start by planning on doing water changes. Due to tank size i dont fancy full manual water changes therefore i plan to have some kind of auto water change system set up. Again i dont know enough yet about best/most suitable set ups that will work for my RSM650 and being in a main family living area but this is definately the way i think i wish to go. I will google the Apex and DOS whatever they are and have a read. Feel free to add any other comments based on my reply.
Thanks very much
Steve

steve w

I tell you what I would also do while your building the new S650 before it gets wet.

Add a gate valve to the main down pipe inside the sump and make that stupid rear downpipe adjuster obsolete. You can also then push the tank right back to the wall.

I told @Nobbygas i would sooner buy a new tank before I would ever clean that! Lol. And I never have cleaned it.

it’s just a maintenance potential pain in the bottom if it ever gets jammed or something .
Hi, Having not yet recieved my tank i cannot relate to the pipe, its function or the issues, i will rememebr to look at your advice and suggestion once i get the tank in March. If there is any thread on here that discusses/reworks it, let me know and i will read through it.
Thanks for your help
Steve

Nobbygas

Hi Nobbygas,
Thanks for replying and your advice, I am quite inexperienced so everything at the minute is difficult to understand, having not yet recieved the tank and wont do until march (house wont be finished being built until then) its hard to understand. when you say chiller outlet through the wall, do you mean the ciller would be outside? if so why and does this then need to be housed outside or do you mean a air vent type cover/plate fitted in the area that the chiller would go? would this create a draft into the lounge in say the winter months? sorry to ask further but i think this could be important and more so if i am looking at trying to get provisions built into the house i need to act quite quickly.
Thanks very much - Steve.
I'm talking about the venting of the warm air from the Chiller. In my case it just vents into the living room, which is not ideal in the Summer. It's best if you can connect the Chiller to vent the hot air outdoors via a hole in the wall. During the winter it doesn't matter because the chiller doesn't do anything, in fact, mine is currently switched off for the winter.
The chiller itself sits in the left-hand space under the S-650. We talking about the hot air that is vented when the chiller is cooling the water down.

steve w

thanks for the extra info, out of interest what chiller do you have?
I have just had a quick look at a D-D Chiller and couldnt see anything about venting connections? I assume warm air is being expelled from the front grills and what you are suggesting is having some way of pipe/vent through the wall and directed at/in the left hand space under the tank so that when the door is closed the warm airs escape is easier out of the vent than throough small gaps into the room? is the back of the cabinet where the chiller goes a solid panel or open panel or a panel with vent slots in? Its just a bit hard not having the tank at the minute.
Thansk for your help,
Steve

Nobbygas

I have a TECO 1000. It vents from the back of the Chiller, thereby the back of the S-650. The back of the Chiller compartment is open when you buy it.
Here are some photos on Page 9. To see how I fitted the back, look on Page 7 Nobby's S-650 | Page 9 | Reef Sanctuary
On Page 9 you can see the vent for the Chiller. If I were able to run a venting pipe/thingy from that through the wall to the outside, then it would have been better. The rectangular venting bit comes with the Teco. I put the backing on to hide the mass of wires and pipes that are hanging down there.