Ordered RSM 250 coming this week, complete novice please help

Naj117

Hi all,

I have just purchased the RSM 250 which will be arriving end of this week/ beginning next. I currently keep a cichlid tank at my office but decided on a marine for my home as i have 2 month old boy who i know will love this as much as i will.

I am a complete novice so would appreciate whatever advice and help you guys can give in running a successful system.

What should my first purchases be?

Thank you in advance

jkef2010

If you got the RSM 250 you don't really need any other stuff the rest is preference and optional. The only advice I can say is go SLOW and take ur time. Read other peoples threads about there tanks everyone starts out not knowing much i'm still learning ALOT everyday. Other then that
:welcomera to RS and Have lots of fun.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Naj117 :wave:
:welcomera Welcome to Reef Sanctuary! You will find SO MUCH help & support here, so make this your favorite hang out & share your build with us.
Like Josh (jkef2010) said....You don't really have to add any additional equipment before you set up & cycle your tank.
You do need a good salt mix (I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals) and Reverse Osmosis (RO-Di) water to fill your tank with. Then you'll need to add live rock & sand. Test kits are very handy & recommended for use during your tank cycle. You'll need to test for the basics (ammonia, nitrite, & then NITRATE). I started out with an API Saltwater Master kit.
Keep asking questions as you go....members here are very willing & happy to help! :D
Congrats on your new RSM 250 & BEST WISHES :biker

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to the RS forums mate!! :dance: For anything and everything related to your new friends you are in the right place! :D

Come on down and check out the RSM owners club! Lots of helpful folks and any question you have won't go unanswered :)

Start a thread and make sure you take lots of picys! :p we do love 'em! Ask for any advice you need especially when starting out and we'll all do our best to help :)

Naj117

Thank you all.

My LFS has recommended i have an Osmosis thingy attached to my plumbing at home for water, is it worth doing?

Naj117

Please excuse my stupidity but how do they work? i know the guy installing will show me but for my own piece of mind i would love to get second opinions from you guys on everything as i know i will get the best advice here

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Is very SIMPLE to hook one up. IF I (so NOT a do-it-yourself person) can do it, anyone can. I have mine set up in my extra bathtub and it didn't take over 15 minutes to set it up. Here's a photo of mine:
299D0D35-D43A-42ED-B075-50618615C56C-9936-000010F6D589A02F_zpsa699295b.jpg
[/IMG]
I got it from Bulk Reef Supply...it's a 5-Stage. It only "looks" complicated because of all the colored tubing. But it's very simple and already put together for the most part.
Red = water coming in
Black = water going to waste (down drain)
Blue = good water going in your collection bucket
Simple to use and the best thing you can do for your fish & yourself. I drink GOOD water now too :D

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
P.S. Water quality is the most important part of this hobby (which we all agree in NOT an inexpensive hobby!) ....so,
If you order a Reverse Osmosis (RO-Di) system from BRS (bulk reef supply) consider getting a refractometer at the same time & save the shipping cost as they will ship FREE. They sell test kits there too :D

Naj117

P.S. Water quality is the most important part of this hobby (which we all agree in NOT an inexpensive hobby!) ....so,
If you order a Reverse Osmosis (RO-Di) system from BRS (bulk reef supply) consider getting a refractometer at the same time & save the shipping cost as they will ship FREE. They sell test kits there too :D

Thank you Diana and i must say that following your thread was one of the reasons i bought the RSM

Kongor

Good luck on the tank! But as said before me BRS R/O units are awesome. I started my first tank back in December 2012 so I'm no expert but the unit was easy to understand and set up. I agree with the refractometer also, made my life alot easier and you think your a bad ass scientist whenever you use it.

My advice is to take it slow, read read read, and ask questions before you buy, will save you alot of frustration and money!!!

Naj117

Hi All, i hope your all well. Been busy moving into new place and settling in. The tank is up and running its cycle but need urgent help, there are loads of micro bubbles coming out of the pumps, ive cleaned the polisher but flow is still slow through it so replaced with a sponge toiday until local lfs gets stock of the polisher. Was hoping the sponge would help but its still kicking out bubbles. Checked skimmer and it seems fine please help